Haiti

Brazilian commander to take over Haiti U.N. peacekeeping force

 

Special to the Miami Herald

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Thursday appointed Lt. Gen. Jose Luiz Jaborandy, Jr., a Brazilian military commander, to head the peacekeeping mission in Haiti.

Jaborandy will on Saturday take command of the more than 5,000-strong force, known as MINUSTAH, after countries lending troops to the mission meet Friday in the Security Council to discuss a force reduction plan that Ban presented last year.

A career military officer with experience in U.N. Central American peacekeeping missions in the early 1990s, Jaborandy arrives at MINUSTAH as concerns of political progress and a deadly cholera outbreak in Haiti have dominated debates about the future of the mission.

Jaborandy, who leads Brazil’s 8th military region, will replace a colleague, Brazilian Lt. Gen. Edson Leal Pujol, whom Ban thanked for the year he spent as force commander.

“His dedication, professionalism and leadership greatly contributed to the United Nations stabilization efforts in Haiti,” Ban said in a statement.

The command change comes the same week that 1,500 victims of a waterborne cholera outbreak in earthquake-rattled Haiti filed a class-action lawsuit against the U.N. in New York, asking the federal court there to declare that the U.N. can be held liable for the epidemic that has killed more than 8,000 and sickened more than 700,000 Haitians.

Friday’s Security Council debate of the mission in Haiti is expected to include a briefing by Trinidad diplomat Sandra Honore, Ban’s special representative to the mission. Pujol, the outgoing force commander, is also expected to brief the Council in a closed meeting before the debate.

Last year, the Council renewed the mission’s mandate through mid-October. Ban’s semi-annual report on the mission, which was due to the Council on Monday, is expected to include recommendations beyond his troop consolidation plan, which includes a smaller, assistance-based mission by 2016.

Read more Haiti stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
President of the Haitian Senate Simon Desras.

    Haiti

    U.S. lawmakers to Haiti Senate: Vote for election law

    A bipartisan group of U.S. lawmakers have written to Haitian Senate President Simon Desras calling on Haitian senators to pass the legislation necessary for long overdue elections to take place this year.

  •  
A supporter of Haiti's former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide holds up a picture of him, while demonstrating in front of his house during a protest in his support, in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014. Supporters of the former president have been blocking the street in front of his house as the popular former leader faces possible arrest for not providing court-ordered testimony in a criminal investigation.

    Haiti

    Despite election delays, Aristide remains focus

    Defying a judge’s order, opposition leaders in Haiti plan to visit former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, who was put under house arrest last week as part of an ongoing criminal investigation.

  •  
Haiti's first lady Sophia Martelly, right, talks with Health Minister Florence Duperval Guillaume in a warehouse housing a donation of kits to treat chikungunya, in the Cite Soleil slum, in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Wednesday, Sept. 10, 2014. The U.S. medical group Direct Relief donated millions of kits to treat the mosquito-borne virus that has sickened tens of thousands across the Caribbean over the past year.

    Haiti gets help for mosquito-borne virus outbreak

    Haiti has received a large shipment of treatment packets to help it deal with an outbreak of the mosquito-borne virus known as chikungunya amid a rainy season expected to result in a surge of new cases in the country, officials said Wednesday.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category