Tunisian cruise delegation dismayed over flap with Norwegian Cruise Line

 

hsampson@MiamiHerald.com

An 11-member delegation from Tunisia arrived in Miami Sunday to promote the North African country as a cruise destination — just in time for a media firestorm to erupt over Israeli cruise passengers being denied entry.

As the annual Cruise Shipping Miami conference wrapped up Thursday, members working at the Tunisia booth expressed surprise and dismay over the flap, which resulted in Norwegian Cruise Line canceling all calls to the port. They puzzled over who was responsible for the incident, which they said must have resulted from a mistake or misunderstanding, possibly over visa requirements.

Maha Ben Slimane, the marketing and communication manager for the cruise terminal at the port of La Goulette, said Tunisia had worked hard to bring Norwegian ships to the port in the first place. She said the government’s official response has been that “Tunisia is a country of human rights. We do not discriminate or restrict any nationality.”

“Tunisians are welcoming; we do not have problems with anyone,” she said. “It’s a pity.”

Port director Sahben Ben Fadhl said his group in Miami was in a “bad position” after being sent by the government to promote Tunisia to the U.S. market. But he said he did not blame Norwegian for their reaction.

“We understand their decision,” he said.

News about the incident broke Sunday after B’nai Brith Canada, which had been notified by Canadian Jewish passengers, released a statement. Norwegian Cruise Line confirmed that “a small number” of guests with Israeli passports were not allowed to enter the country at the port of La Goulette because of a “last minute decision” by the government.

The issue had snowballed by Tuesday, when the Miami-based cruise operator announced that it would cancel all future port calls to Tunisia “to send a strong message to Tunisia and ports around the world that we will not tolerate such random acts of discrimination against our guests.”

Read more Business stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category