Haiti government defends plans to develop resort island

 

Associated Press

A plan to transform a small Caribbean island off the southern coast of Haiti into a high-end tourism resort will create more than 2,000 jobs and help change the international image of the impoverished country, the prime minister said Wednesday, rejecting allegations that the government will evict hundreds of poor farmers to complete the project.

Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe said the development of the small island known as Ile-a-Vache will be the most ambitious tourism project ever in Haiti and that critics who have clashed with police in a recent series of protests do not fully appreciate the benefits.

“This will bring the hope for a better future for all the residents of Ile-a-Vache,” Lamothe said by phone while in Chile. “We definitely have no plans to evict anyone.”

The $260 million project is being built with a combination of foreign aid and private investment. It is scheduled to be completed in two years. It includes an international airport that will allow foreign tourists to bypass chaotic Port-au-Prince, condos, spas, and a community radio station.

Lamothe said there will be more than 2,000 jobs in hotels, in addition to work building schools and a community center.

Work has begun on the airport, a $24 million gift from the government of Venezuela, amid a series of protests that began last year following a government announcement that it was seizing land on the island for the purpose of “public utility” to carry out the tourism project. It didn’t settle with a few of the 15,000 people who live on Ile-a-Vache, many of them farmers and fishermen.

“All of sudden, the decree comes out, and they’re taking away land to give to foreigners,” said Mark Donald Laine, 27, who has lived on the island his whole life.

Laine and his neighbors formed a group called the Organization of Ile-a-Vache Farmers to protect their land, saying it’s been passed down for generations and arguably the only asset they own.

So they fought back with tire-burning protests, and police officers showed up on the island to quell the dissent. A few residents said police beat them. They promise more demonstrations unless the government rescinds the decree.

Lamothe said the protests are being led by a small group of people with ties to organized crime networks who are trying to smuggle marijuana through the area, and have an interest in crushing development.

Still, people in 100 homes will have to be relocated to make way for resorts, said Tourism Minister Stephanie Villedrouin.

“There’s going to be some compensation for people who live right there,” she said.

Read more Just In! | Travel News stories from the Miami Herald

  • Air travel

    US changing no-fly list rules

    The Obama administration is promising to change the way travelers can ask to be removed from its no-fly list of suspected terrorists banned from air travel.

  •  
 <span class="cutline_leadin">First Alert POD Personal Security Alarm</span>

    Gear + Gadgets

    Take-along alarm

    First Alert is well known for smoke and carbon monoxide detector/alarms that help safeguard home life. Now, the company offers a different kind of alarm for takeout.

  •  
Britain's Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge, centre, walks with Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, centre right, as they view the Tower of London's 'Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red' poppy installation, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of WWI, in London, Tuesday Aug. 5, 2014.

    England: Red ceramic poppies spill from Tower of London

    ‘In Flanders fields, the poppies blow …’

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK



  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category