TECHNOLOGY

Target’s chief information officer resigns

 

Minneapolis Star Tribune

The chief information officer of Target Corp. is resigning as the retail giant overhauls its information security and compliance operations amid investigations into a damaging network break-in late last year.

The resignation of Beth M. Jacob is immediate, the Minneapolis-based company said Wednesday, and Target is searching for an interim CIO to serve in what it described as a long-term, temporary position to guide it through the technology restructuring.

In a statement Wednesday, Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel described the search for an interim CIO as a “first step.”

“While we are still in the process of an ongoing investigation, we recognize that the information security environment is evolving rapidly,” Steinhafel said.

Steinhafel outlined other changes to Target’s information security management. It has created the position of chief information security officer and is recruiting outside the company for that position. It has also started an external search for a chief compliance officer.

“We are also working with an external adviser, Promontory Financial Group, to help us evaluate our technology, structure, processes and talent as part of this transformation,” Steinhafel said.

Target declined requests for interviews.

Promontory, headquartered in Washington, D.C., advises governments and companies, primarily financial institutions around the world, on complex risk and regulatory challenges. Bloomberg, for instance, hired Promontory to help it assess its client data issues following last year’s revelation that Bloomberg reporters were monitoring how clients use their Bloomberg terminals. A company spokesman said Promontory doesn’t discuss client matters.

The chief information security officer position is a new one for Target. Brenda Bjerke, Target’s senior director, information protection who held some of the responsibilities of a chief information security officer, will remain with the company, a spokeswoman said. She said she couldn’t say what Bjerke’s role would be.

The company provided a copy of Jacob’s resignation letter, dated March 5, in which Jacob wrote “this is a good time for a change.”

“This is a difficult decision after 12 rewarding years with the company I love,” Jacob wrote. “This is a time of significant transformation for the retail industry and for Target.”

Jacob, who holds an MBA from the University of Minnesota, first joined the company in 1984 as a department store assistant buyer when it was known as Dayton’s, then left and returned in 2002 to Target as director of guest contact centers. She was promoted to CIO and executive vice president of Target Technology Services in 2008, and reported to Steinhafel.

Jacob ran Target’s technology infrastructure during a period of rapid change, including the relocation of some of its technology operations to India. Critics have noted that she has deep operations experience but lacked the information technology background that many see as increasingly important for a CIO at a major corporation.

Jacob’s ouster was anticipated by many industry analysts, and welcomed.

“Target has not been keeping up in terms of keeping pace with the way they need to move forward with technology,” said Amy Koo, a senior analyst at Kantar Retail in Boston. “There was not enough oversight, clearly, or enough controls.”

The most public technology issues have been with Target’s struggle to fortify its website, which at one time was run by Amazon.com. The company spent two years re-engineering the website only to have it crash in 2011 less than a month after its debut, during the launch of highly anticipated Missoni merchandise.

Brian Yarbrough, consumer analyst at Edward Jones & Co., said Target is making a statement that it needs to take its technology game “to the next level.”

“I’m sure for somebody this will be a great role,” Yarbrough said. “You can come in and look like a hero.”

Read more Business stories from the Miami Herald

  • Winn-Dixie parent Bi-Lo withdraws plans to take company public

    Bi-Lo Holdings, the parent company of Winn-Dixie and Bi-Lo grocery chains, has cancelled its plans to go public. The company, based in Jacksonville, had filed last September for an initial public offering of up to $500 million.

  • US judge readies response to Argentina’s threats

    A U.S. judge frustrated by debt-ridden Argentina’s refusal to comply with his orders is being urged to take stronger action against the South American nation as it maneuvers to get its finances beyond his control.

  • Brazil expands labor rights for domestic workers

    Nivea dos Santos got her first job as a live-in maid at age 12, dusting, vacuuming, ironing and polishing the silver of a wealthy Rio de Janeiro family from dawn until she’d fall, exhausted, into bed. More than two decades later, Brazil has passed legislation aimed at preventing such abuses.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category