Miami Beach

Miami Beach

Miami Beach leaders trying to stop short-term rentals of 'party homes'

 

cveiga@MiamiHerald.com

Miami Beach is clamping down on “party houses” by making it illegal to advertise them.

New regulations that would make it a violation of the city code to advertise short-term home rentals passed a preliminary vote at Wednesday’s City Commission meeting. The rules would have to be finalized in a second vote before taking effect.

The city is trying to make it easier to make violations stick when someone rents out a home against Beach rules. Miami Beach prohibits rentals of less than six months plus one day.

Still, promoters offer up luxurious homes for parties that can get loud and rowdy, to the chagrin of neighbors. Commissioner Ed Tobin said some rentals even boast the availability of drugs and prostitutes.

“We want to resolve this problem, especially the multiple, repeat offenders,” said Tobin, who proposed the new rules.

Commissioners said part of the issue is that the rentals can be so lucrative that the fines levied by the city are not a deterrent. Fines can run up to $20,000 for repeat offenders who rent homes for commercial purposes.

“It’s a cost of doing business,” said Mayor Philip Levine.

Commissioner Joy Malakoff asked for the new rules to be referred to committee to discuss the outlawing of valets. She said some homeowners rent out their homes for once-yearly charity events, and not having valet service could actually be more disruptive to neighbors if attendees park all over the neighborhood.

Commissioner Michael Grieco worried about the city’s ability to prove who may have posted an illegal rental ad.

“What’s to say that their competition next door isn’t the one that advertised?” asked Grieco, a criminal defense lawyer. “I think it’s going to be a difficult thing to enforce because the response is going to be, ‘Well, I didn’t do it.’ 

The vote on the new rules was unanimous, but commissioners floated additional ways to combat the problem. Commissioner Deede Weithorn suggested getting tough on enforcement of fire codes. The mayor said the city should consider cutting off water to problem homes — something City Attorney Jose Smith said the city had already done in at least one case.

Follow @Cveiga on Twitter.

Read more Miami Beach stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK