Canelo Alvarez will look to get up off canvas after loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr.

 
 
Boxer Floyd Mayweather watches the Los Angeles Lakers play the Boston Celtics during the second half of an NBA basketball game, Friday, Feb. 21, 2014, in Los Angeles.
Boxer Floyd Mayweather watches the Los Angeles Lakers play the Boston Celtics during the second half of an NBA basketball game, Friday, Feb. 21, 2014, in Los Angeles.
Mark J. Terrill / AP

Coming up

Friday (9 p.m., ESPN2): Khabyr Suleimanov vs. Roman Morales, 10, bantamweights.

Saturday (9 p.m., pay-per-view): Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. Alfredo Angulo, 12, super welterweights; Leo Santa Cruz vs. Cristian Mijares, 12, for Santa Cruz’s WBC super-bantamweight title; Carlos Molina vs. Jermall Charlo, 12, for Molina’s IBF junior-middleweight title.


Special to the Miami Herald

Most fighters, notably those who became world champions, will eventually deal with the phase that follows their first professional defeat.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. still has not faced such a dilemma. The sport’s best pound-for-pound fighter continues to preserve his spotless unbeaten record, now at 45 bouts, since his professional debut 17 years ago.

On Saturday night, Mayweather’s recent ring victim will have his initial ring appearance following his first professional loss. Mexico’s Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will begin the transition as previously unbeaten when he faces countryman Alfredo Angulo in Las Vegas.

The super-welterweight bout at the MGM Grand Garden Arena will be Alvarez’s first since losing a majority decision against Mayweather last September.

“I’m very strong-minded; so, yes, it was a loss, but I learned a lot from it, and I just move on,” Alvarez said in a conference call last week. “I gained experience and move on. I don’t dwell on the past. Now I look forward to the future.”

Although 13 years younger than Mayweather, Alvarez, 23, could not break down his gifted opponent’s superb boxing skills. The result was recorded as a majority decision only because of an outlying scorecard from a Nevada judge who has since been removed from working fights.

“I learned a lot in that fight, so it wasn’t just one thing,” Alvarez said. “But we did gain a lot of experience, and that will be noted in my fights in the future once I step into the ring to bring that out.”

For his first post-Mayweather bout, Alvarez (42-1-1) will face an opponent whose ring approach completely contrasts Mayweather’s. Angulo relies on pressure fighting, a style which has made him a top 154-pound contender. But Angulo (22-3, 18 KOs) also has lost two of his past three bouts, including a 10th-round TKO setback against Erislandy Lara last June.

“Obviously, he’s a fighter that comes forward, that hits hard, that can take a punch, and that’s what’s going to make the fight live up, and that’s what the people want to see,” Alvarez said. “They want to see action, and that’s what they will see [Saturday], a lot of action.”

The 12-round bout won’t determine a champion by the sport’s sanctioning bodies. However, Alvarez acknowledges that a victory will provide him additional clout on the pay-per-view and marquee-bout landscape.

“It’s a big responsibility, a great responsibility,” Alvarez said of headlining Saturday’s telecast. “But I thrive on it, and I’m very honored to be headlining.”

Around the ring

Mexico’s Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. left no doubt in the rematch as his pre-fight conditioning paid off with a successful result.

Chavez won a unanimous decision against Bryan Vera late Saturday in San Antonio.

Accurately connecting with his punches, Chavez (48-1-1) denied the pressing Vera (23-8) any fight-changing flurry in the 12-round bout at the Alamodome. Chavez won 117-110 on two judges’ scorecards and 114-113 on the third.

When they first met last September, an out-of-shape Chavez won a controversial decision. Chavez weighed five pounds above the super-middleweight limit. But he weighed under the limit for the rematch.

On Saturday’s undercard, Mexico’s Orlando Salido lost his featherweight belt but defeated the Ukraine’s Vasyl Lomachenko nonetheless.

Salido won a split decision against Lomachenko but was stripped of his World Boxing Organization featherweight belt on Friday for failing to make the 126-pound limit. As a result of Salido’s victory, the title has been declared vacant.

A two-time Olympic gold medalist, Lomachenko was attempting to win a world title in only his second professional fight.

Read more Boxing stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category