• A top prize of $5,000 will be awarded in the Wahoo Smackdown Thursday-Saturday at the Bimini Big Game Club Resort & Marina in the Bahamas. Entry fee is $1,250 per boat. For more information, visit biggameclubbimini.com or call 1-800-867-4764.
• Nova Southeastern University’s Oceanographic Center and the Marine Industries Association of South Florida will host the 2014 Fort Lauderdale Billfish Tournament on Saturday out of Bahia Mar Marina, 801 Seabreeze Blvd., Fort Lauderdale. Entry fee is $1,000 per team; $500 for current NSU students, faculty or staff. A captains’ meeting will be held Thursday at the NSU Oceanographic Center, 8000 N. Ocean Dr., Dania Beach inside John U. Lloyd Beach State Park. Email email@example.com or call 954-262-2105.
• Divers, snorkelers and beach walkers are invited to volunteer for the annual Broward County Waterway Cleanup sponsored by the Marine Industries Association of South Florida from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at 29 sites. For more information, visit www.waterwaycleanup.org.
• Everglades National Park is offering free admission at the Homestead entrance in honor of Vintage Day from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Costumed interpreters playing Gladesmen, plume hunters and game wardens will appear and there will be exhibits and discussions. For more information, visit www.nps.gov/ever.
• Paddlers of surf skis, kayaks and stand-up paddleboards are invited to the Paddle House Indian Creek Paddle Showdown on Sunday out of the Miami Beach Rowing Club, 6500 Indian Creek Dr., Miami Beach. Proceeds benefit the club’s scholarship fund. For more information, visit wwww.rowmiamibeach.com.
• The Hollywood Hills Saltwater Fishing, Science and Social Club will meet at 6 p.m. March 5 at Shenanigan’s East Side Pub, 1300 S. Federal Highway, Hollywood. Guest speaker is captain Bouncer Smith on marine protected areas. Admission is free; door prizes will be awarded. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission will conduct a free hunter safety course March 8 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Markham Park shooting range clubhouse, 16001 W. State Rd. 84, Sunrise. Students must complete the online portion beforehand. For more information, visit MyFWC.com/HunterSafety or call 561-625-5122.
• Check out the feathered visitors around Lake Okeechobee in the Big O Birding Festival March 9-13 sponsored by the Hendry County Tourist Development Council. Birder Greg Miller will give the keynote speech. For more information and to reserve bus tours, visit BigOBirdingFestival.com.
• Youngsters are invited to participate in a free Junior Birder event March 9 from 10 a.m. to noon at Biscayne National Park’s Dante Fascell Visitor Center, 9700 SW 328 St. near Homestead. Participants can watch and sketch birds and receive a certificate for turning in their checklist. A free trolley ride is available from Homestead’s Losner Park. For more information, visit www.nps.gov/bisc; for trolley information, visit www.CityofHomestead.com/Gateway.
• Register for the 21st annual Capt. Bob Lewis Kids Fishing Classic April 25-26 out of Shake-A-Leg Miami in Coconut Grove. Entry fee is $35 per angler; $40 for the offshore drift boat division covering one adult and one child. For more information, visit www.kidsfishingclassic.com or call 305-725-5614.
To our readers
This page is a regular weekly feature focusing on Florida outdoors adventures. Email scocking@MiamiHerald.com.