Court hearing on Guatemala’s attorney general draws hundreds

 

McClatchy Foreign Staff

Hundreds of supporters of Attorney General Claudia Paz y Paz rallied outside Guatemala’s highest court Wednesday as the justices inside heard final arguments on whether the human rights champion should be allowed to stay in office until December or be forced to step down in May.

The legal issues surrounding whether Paz y Paz is entitled to serve a complete four-year term or must step down when the term of the man she replaced would have ended are complicated. The Constitutional Court, in a decision earlier this month, ruled preliminarily that her appointment was legally flawed and that the shorter term was in order.

But the case is also tied up with the bitter, lingering politics of Guatemala’s three-decades-long civil war that claimed tens of thousands of lives. Paz y Paz became a divisive figure because of her prosecution of human rights cases stemming from that war, including the genocide conviction of former President Efrain Rios Montt, which the Constitutional Court threw out less than two weeks after it was delivered.

After hearing the final arguments, the court said it would review the evidence and issue its ruling next week. But there were few in the crowd who were likely to accept anything but a victory for Paz y Paz.

“We are here to learn why the Constitutional Court ruled in contradiction of the constitution,” said Sandra Moran, the organizer of a women’s group in a typical comment.

Said Daniel Pascual, a leader of a leftist indigenous rights organization, the United Peasants Committee: “The rule of law is in danger.”

“I’ve been looking for [my brother] for 25 years,” said Marilena Bustamante, whose brother, Emil, a veterinarian, was working with peasant groups when he vanished during Rios Montt’s administration in the early 1980s. She said she saw coming to hear the arguments as “fortifying the system of justice in Guatemala.”

Nearby, indigenous Mayan women had spread a carpet of flowers and pine needles. A small religious offering burned in an urn nearby.

Inside the court, the attorney and businessman who brought the suit to end Paz y Paz’s term, Ricardo Sagastume, paced as he waited to speak. He called his lawsuit a “civic act” and said he was trying to correct an error that had been made in the 2010 process that resulted in Paz y Paz’s appointment.

“We have most clearly … recognized that authorities are not above the law,” Sagastume said.

Paz y Paz responded in careful, measured sentences that the constitution “legally specifies a complete term of four years, not a day more … or a day less.”

“It’s important to the independence of the justice system” that the attorney general receive a full four year term in which to work, she said.

After the statements, Sagastume said that he felt “secure” that “the court was convinced to make a correct decision” in accordance to his argument.

Reeves is a McClatchy special correspondent.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • UN Myanmar envoy worried over camps for displaced

    The U.N.'s new human rights envoy for Myanmar on Saturday expressed serious concern about the conditions in camps for more than 100,000 persons displaced by sectarian strife, and warned that the country's human rights situation may be deteriorating.

  •  
Pope Francis arrives to celebrate a mass in Caserta, Italy, Saturday, July 26, 2014. Pope Francis will remain in Caserta for a few hours, but will be back here for a private visit on Monday. The banner in Italian reads "United against Camorra".

    Pope goes to stronghold of Naples-area mobsters

    Pope Francis has traveled to a southern Italian stronghold of a clan of mobsters who poisoned local farmlands by dumping illicitly trafficked toxic waste.

  • Germany: man accused of child abuse over 20 years

    German authorities have arrested a man suspected of sexually abusing children over the past two decades after finding a boy who had been missing for several weeks at his apartment.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category