Ex-Mubarak crony named to form new Egyptian government

 

McClatchy Foreign Staff

In a surprise announcement, Egyptian Prime Minister Hazem el-Beblawi announced Monday that his 7-month-old government had resigned just two months ahead of expected presidential elections, a move that seemed destined to clear the way for a new Cabinet led by politicians close to ousted President Hosni Mubarak.

The departing Cabinet was the fifth government to rule Egypt in three years. The transitional president, Adly Mansour, accepted el-Beblawi’s resignation and named as his successor the housing minister, Ibrahim Mahlab, a former member of Mubarak’s National Democratic Party who has business interests in Saudi Arabia and whom Mubarak appointed to the legislature’s upper house, the Shura Council, in 2010.

Under Egyptian law, when the prime minister resigns, the rest of his Cabinet resigns with him. But the announcement appeared to catch some of the ministers by surprise, as several said privately that they’d learned of el-Beblawi’s resignation earlier Monday at an abrupt Cabinet meeting.

A government official told McClatchy that Mahlab would return most ministers to their former posts in the next days but that there might be a shift in the Cabinet’s overall composition. Where el-Beblawi’s Cabinet consisted of those tied to the Mubarak regime as well as newcomers since the 2011 uprising that removed Mubarak from power, Mahlab is expected to stack his Cabinet largely with remnants of the old regime.

Analysts saw Mahlab’s appointment as potentially helping the expected presidential candidacy of Egypt’s strongman, Gen. Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi. El-Sissi was once Egypt’s defense attache in Saudi Arabia, his country’s largest financial benefactor. The appointment of a Cabinet composed of people willing to also work under an el-Sissi administration might lay the groundwork for his election, observers said.

“The rumored prime minister is a former land and housing minister, which means he has dealt with matters central to the military’s domestic financial land assets. He also, like Sissi, has close ties to Saudi Arabia,” said Eric Trager, an expert in Egyptian politics who’s the Esther K. Wagner fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Studies, a U.S. research center..

It’s unclear whether el-Sissi, who with el-Beblawi’s resignation lost his post as defense minister, would serve in Mahlab’s government.

El-Beblawi made the announcement during a 15-minute speech on live television in which he called for the Egyptian people to take more personal responsibility for the nation’s development.

“For the past six to seven months, the government assumed its responsibilities and duties. . . . The government did not spare any efforts to get Egypt out of a bad phase,” el-Beblawi said.

An economist, el-Beblawi had grown increasingly unpopular among Egyptian pundits and voters alike as the economy continued to decline. In recent weeks, several labor groups, including bus drivers, went on strike, further straining the economy.

“It is time we all sacrificed for the good of the country. Rather than asking what has Egypt given us, we should instead be asking what we have done for Egypt,” said el-Beblawi, who’s 70, adding that the government had “made every effort to get Egypt out of the narrow tunnel in terms of security, economic pressures and political confusion.”

There had been rampant rumors that the government would resign in January, shortly after Egypt approved a new constitution in a referendum with a resounding 98 percent of the vote.

But the labor strikes seemed to have intensified calls for change – again. El-Beblawi’s government, for some, was more unpopular than the threat of more instability.

Email: nyoussef@mcclatchydc.com; Twitter: @nancyayoussef

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Belfast officer who oversaw Adams arrest promoted

    Rival factions in Northern Ireland's unity government are accusing each other of bias after a policeman who oversaw the arrest of Sinn Fein party leader Gerry Adams was promoted to the force's second-highest post.

  •  
FILE - In this Nov. 7, 2013 file photo, Fiji's Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama, center, attends the opening of a picnic park in Suva, Fiji. Thousands of Fijians are eagerly awaiting their first chance to vote in nearly eight years Wednesday in an election that promises to finally restore democracy to the South Pacific nation of 900,000. Yet plenty of questions remain about how far military ruler Bainimarama has tilted the outcome in his favor. Bainimarama is running as a candidate and polls indicate his party is by far the most popular of the seven registered.

    Fijians go to polls after 8 years of military rule

    Thousands of Fijians are awaiting their first chance to vote in eight years Wednesday in an election that promises to finally restore democracy to the South Pacific nation of 900,000.

  •  
This undated 2009 photo shows journalist Lynne O'Donnell in Kandahar province, Afghanistan. O’Donnell, a foreign correspondent who has covered major stories throughout the Middle East and Asia for two decades, has been named Kabul bureau chief for The Associated Press, leading the agency’s coverage of Afghanistan at a time of transition and turmoil. The appointment was announced on Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2014 by Ian Phillips, AP’s Middle East news director, and Dan Perry, the regional editor for text.

    AP names Lynne O'Donnell Kabul bureau chief

    Lynne O'Donnell, a foreign correspondent who has covered major stories throughout the Middle East and Asia for two decades, has been named Kabul bureau chief for The Associated Press, leading the agency's coverage of Afghanistan at a time of transition and turmoil.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category