This weekend is full of major events, which will likely lead to traffic tie-ups. Here are four potential problem areas to navigate:
• Miami Beach: The beach all the ingredients for traffic jams this weekend: major events, road construction and likely beautiful beach weather. Roads will be clogged around the Yacht and Brokerage Show, Collins Avenue from 41st to 54th streets, and around the Miami Beach Convention Center, where the Miami International Boat Show is taking place. Road closures and detours due to ongoing construction remain on Alton Road between Fifth Street and Michigan Avenue and Collins Avenue from Fifth Street to 16th Street.
Alternative: For the boat show in South Beach, take the Julia Tuttle Causeway and get to the convention center from the north.
Tips: Plan your parking moves in advance, and check each event’s website for information about shuttle service.
• Coconut Grove: Because of The Coconut Grove Arts Festival, several roads will be closed Friday through Monday night in the central business district. They include portions of: McFarlane Road, Mary Street, South Bayshore Drive, Southwest 27th Avenue and Pan American Drive. Detours will also be added on South Bayshore Drive at Aviation Avenue and on Tigertail between Aviation Avenue and Southwest 27th Avenue.
Alternative: Use Southwest 32nd Avenue or Southwest 22nd Avenue.
Tip: Take Metrorail to the Douglas Road or Coconut Grove station, where Bus Route 249 (Coconut Grove Circulator) has stops near the festival.
• Midtown Miami: Art Wynwood will be held in a pavilion at 3101 NE 1st Ave., adjacent to Midtown’s shops and restaurants.
Alternative: Traffic will likely back up on Biscayne Boulevard through the day, so best to exit I-195 at North Miami Avenue.
Tip: The Miami Trolley’s Biscayne route includes a stop in Midtown Miami.
• Downtown Miami: Two boat show participants and a new art fair will draw crowds to downtown and points north. The New Yacht & Power Boat Show is at Sea Isle Marina, 1635 N. Bayshore Dr., while Strictly Sail Miami is located at Miamarina at Bayside, 400 Biscayne Blvd. The new Miami Art and Design Fair will be held at Bayfront Park’s Chopin Plaza, east of Biscayne Boulevard and Flagler Street.
Alternative: Metromover has stops near all three events, and shuttle service as well as water taxi service is available between the boat show events.
• Final tip: Try to beat the rush by arriving as early as possible to whatever event you’re attending.