Haiti

Haiti commerce ministry dismayed by fire at essential oil factory

 
 
Haitian entrepreneur Pierre Leger, owner of Agri-Supply Company in Les Cayes.
Haitian entrepreneur Pierre Leger, owner of Agri-Supply Company in Les Cayes.
Peter Andrew Bosch / Miami Herald

jcharles@MiamiHerald.com

Haitian authorities are investigating a fire at a factory that produces essential oil for some of Europe’s top fragrance houses.

The fire occurred Tuesday morning and created “significant” damage to part of Agri-Supply Company, S.A. in the city of Les Cayes in southwest Haiti.

The company is one of the largest employers in the region. Its operations indirectly supports about 25,000 farming families, who grow the drought-resistant root vetiver, which is used in perfumes and after-shave lotions.

Farmers sell the root, found in plentiful supply in the region, to Agri-Supply. The company’s 125 workers then extract its essential oil and package it for shipment to Europe.

“This fire is a disaster that strikes at the very heart of the region's economy,” Haiti’s Ministry of Commerce and Industry said in a press release Wednesday. It said it was “dismayed” by what had happened. There were no injuries or deaths.

Commerce Minister Wilson Laleau recently honored the factory’s owner, Pierre Leger, for his contributions to Haiti’s economy.

Leger said he doesn’t know if the fire, which damaged part of the factory, was an accident or a criminal act. It took about seven hours to put out the flames, which started at about 10 a.m., he said.

“I am putting myself at the mercy of the authorities to figure it out,” said Leger, who coincidentally was playing host this week to a four-person delegation from Europe that came to visit the factory’s operations.

Born and raised in Les Cayes, Leger is a well-known figure in the rural region, which like the rest of Haiti suffers from a lack of employment opportunities. Leger is known for his strong advocacy of job creation over aid for Haiti.

He studied agronomy in Europe, and after returning to Haiti went back to Les Cayes to help develop the region.

In addition to his vetiver production, he and an American business partner have for years advocated for the development of a private port and airport in the region to further spur development to the area.

Leger said since the fire, he has received an outpouring of support from Haitians in-country and abroad. While recognizing how the factory has helped improved their families’ lives, some have shed tears, while looking at the damaged structure.

“It’s amazing the amount of cars and trucks that have pulled up,” he said. “This has given me strength.”

Read more Haiti stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
A supporter of Haiti's former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide holds up a picture of him, while demonstrating in front of his house during a protest in his support, in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014. Supporters of the former president have been blocking the street in front of his house as the popular former leader faces possible arrest for not providing court-ordered testimony in a criminal investigation.

    Haiti

    Despite election delays, Aristide remains focus

    Defying a judge’s order, opposition leaders in Haiti plan to visit former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, who was put under house arrest last week as part of an ongoing criminal investigation.

  •  
Haiti's first lady Sophia Martelly, right, talks with Health Minister Florence Duperval Guillaume in a warehouse housing a donation of kits to treat chikungunya, in the Cite Soleil slum, in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Wednesday, Sept. 10, 2014. The U.S. medical group Direct Relief donated millions of kits to treat the mosquito-borne virus that has sickened tens of thousands across the Caribbean over the past year.

    Haiti gets help for mosquito-borne virus outbreak

    Haiti has received a large shipment of treatment packets to help it deal with an outbreak of the mosquito-borne virus known as chikungunya amid a rainy season expected to result in a surge of new cases in the country, officials said Wednesday.

  •  
In this Sept. 3, 2014 photo, residents walk in the streets outside of the main prison in Croix-des-Bouquets, Haiti. On August 11, 2014, the Croix-des-Bouquet Civil Prison, built by Canada in 2012, held some 130 inmates over its capacity, when more than 300 of them broke out in a violent confrontation. It was Haiti’s largest prison escape since 2010, when thousands of inmates fled the notorious National Penitentiary in downtown Port-au-Prince in the aftermath of an earthquake that devastated the capital.

    Haiti prisons under scrutiny after mass breakout

    Sudden gunfire rattled the morning routine outside the Croix-des-Bouquets Civil Prison and soon inmates, many barefoot and shirtless, dashed frantically from the maximum-security facility, startling street vendors as they looted their wares and fled through the unpaved streets.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category