CUBA

Cuba frees jailed Canadian businessman

 

Toronto Star

A Canadian businessman who was serving a lengthy prison sentence in Cuba for corruption was abruptly expelled on Thursday, bringing to an end an ordeal in which he was first held without charges, and then sentenced to nine years in a tough jail.

Sarkis Yacoubian was reluctant to say much about the circumstances under which he left the communist island’s La Condesa prison less than a year into his sentence.

“I am home, and I just want to be close to my family, and with my mom,” Yacoubian said. “I feel greatly relieved to be back in Canada, and I just want to take my time and think over the whole experience.”

In July 2011, Yacoubian — who operated a $30 million transport company called Tri-Star Caribbean — was arrested by Cuban authorities. It wasn’t until April 2013 that he was formally accused of bribery, tax evasion and “activities damaging to the economy.”

In hopes of mitigating his sentence, Yacoubian decided to cooperate with authorities, and so the nine-year prison term, imposed at the end of a May 2013 trial, surprised his supporters. They began hoping for a transfer to a Canadian jail for the 53-year-old.

But because Yacoubian was expelled from Cuba, he said, he is not subject to transfer conditions that would require him to serve the rest of his sentence in Canada.

Yacoubian’s return to Toronto also raises questions about the legal status of another Canadian being held by Cuban authorities: 73-year-old Cy Tokmakjian remains in La Condesa prison, more than two years after his arrest and with no charges laid.

Tokmakjian, founder of the Tokmakjian Group transportation firm — one of the largest foreign operations in Cuba — was arrested September 2011. His family declined to comment on Yacoubian’s release, but a source close to them said they hoped it could mean there would be movement in Tokmakjian’s case.

Peter Kent, Tokmakjian’s Member of Parliament, told The Star that Yacoubian’s release had been expected, but that the news that he was back in Canada came as a relief.

“My greater concern is about Cy Tokmakjian. Two years without charge, in frail health,” said Kent, adding that Canadian government representatives “have on a number of occasions asked the Cuban authorities to either take him to court, lay charges or release him. And that continues to be our position . . . and that hasn’t happened.”

Read more Americas stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category