Immigration

Coast Guard suspends search for missing migrants off Florida’s coast

 
 
A capsized vessel is lifted on board the Royal Netherlands Navy Zeeland 75 miles northeast of West Palm Beach, Fla., on Feb. 6, 2014.
A capsized vessel is lifted on board the Royal Netherlands Navy Zeeland 75 miles northeast of West Palm Beach, Fla., on Feb. 6, 2014.
U.S. COAST GUARD

priley@miamiherald.com

The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended the search for a missing person from a capsized 24-foot motorboat late Friday.

Officials confirmed on Saturday that the surviving migrants were still on the cutter, but would not release the nationality of the migrants or where they left from.

The boat carried 12 migrants when it flipped over 75 miles northeast of West Palm Beach on Thursday.

The Royal Netherlands Navy Zeeland discovered the boat Thursday, rescuing seven and recovering three bodies from within the hull. The seven survivors were transferred to the Coast Guard Cutter Richard Etheridge.

Authorities confirmed that a fourth person was found dead Friday.

Coast Guard officials haven’t yet determined the cause for the capsizing, but said that the seas were relatively calm Thursday.

Officers are interviewing the migrants.

“It’s an ongoing law enforcement case,” said Coast Guard spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Gabe Somma.

Earlier this week, the Coast Guard repatriated 14 Cuban migrants to Bahia de Cabañas, Cuba after two separate groups of Cubans were interdicted.

Last Saturday, nine Cuban migrants attempting to enter the United States were interdicted at sea by the Coast Guard, and on Monday, five others were found on a homemade raft off Key West.

This is the second time in a little more than a week, however, that a migrant has died.

On Jan. 30, a Haitian migrant died and eight others were detained after coming ashore at Fort Lauderdale beach.

In October, four Haitian women died after the recreational fishing boat carrying them plunged in the waters of Government Cut off Miami Beach.

Two months later, at least 30 Haitian migrants died off the coast of the Bahamas after their boat capsized, and on Christmas Day, 17 Haitians died off the Turks and Caicos.

In both the cases of the Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos, the wooden Haitian sailboats left from the northwest coast of Haiti, the Ile de la Tortue.

On Friday, Haiti Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe visited the island to assess the situation, and see what plans the government can provide to help stem the flow of Haitians using the island as a jumping off point.

After the Miami Herald wrote about the plight of the islands’ residents, Lamothe responded by sending 3,000 kits of food to the island, enough to feed the people for 10 to 12 days while the government worked on a emergency plan.

Read more Florida stories from the Miami Herald

  • Redistricting

    Judge throws out Florida's congressional map

    A judge threw out Florida’s congressional redistricting map Thursday, ruling that the Legislature allowed for a “secret, organized campaign” by partisan operatives to subvert the redistricting process in violation of the state Constitution.

  •  
FILE--Florida Gov. Rick Scott is shown Tuesday, April 15th, 2014, in Opa-locka, Fla.

    Politics

    Union: Scott coerced cops to appear at campaign event

    A police union official filed a complaint Thursday with the Florida Elections Commission, accusing Gov. Rick Scott of illegally coercing on-duty police officers to attend a campaign event in Tampa on Monday.

  • Politics

    Crist speaks to Florida press group in Miami

    The former governor attacked Gov. Rick Scott’s tenure on everything from education to missed opportunities to tap federal money.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category