winter olympics

Shaun White says no to slopestyle after wrist injury

 

American headliner Shaun White pulled out of the slopestyle competition and will focus on the halfpipe at the Sochi Games.

 
FILE - In this Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2014 file photo, Shaun White of the United States takes a jump during a Snowboard Slopestyle training session at the Rosa Khutor Extreme Park in Krasnaya Polyana, Russia, prior to the 2014 Winter Olympics. White said Wednesday, Feb. 5, that he is pulling out of the Olympic slopestyle contest to focus solely on winning a third straight gold medal on the halfpipe.
FILE - In this Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2014 file photo, Shaun White of the United States takes a jump during a Snowboard Slopestyle training session at the Rosa Khutor Extreme Park in Krasnaya Polyana, Russia, prior to the 2014 Winter Olympics. White said Wednesday, Feb. 5, that he is pulling out of the Olympic slopestyle contest to focus solely on winning a third straight gold medal on the halfpipe.
Andy Wong / AP

lrobertson@MiamiHerald.com

When Shaun White declared he was withdrawing from the Sochi Olympic slopestyle snowboarding competition because the course is too dangerous, his critics in the sport scoffed and said White has become conservative in his old age.

But what White really decided was to cut his losses and protect his brand. He played it savvy — not usually an admired attribute in the go-for-the-gusto snowboarding subculture.

So fans and opponents will be denied the sight of White riding rails and catapulting off jumps, but the halfpipe maestro will preserve his superior shot at a third consecutive gold medal in the event he has made into his trademark.

White is no longer known as the “Flying Tomato.” He cut his Bozo-length red hair, cleaned up his off-snow reputation and became CEO of his apparel, equipment and endorsement empire, Shaun White Enterprises.

White is no longer the teen snowboarding and skateboarding phenom who popularized the X Games and an accompanying lifestyle best summarized as, Stay Stoked!

White is 27, seriously grown up in snowboarding years. His biggest rivals are Mark McMorris, 20, and Ayumu Hirano, 15. He recently bought a $9 million house in Malibu, Calif. He wears a Target logo to promote his clothing line. He staged his announcement about bypassing slopestyle on the Today show. How square is that?

White, in fact, made anti-establishment snowboarding into a mainstream sport. The International Olympic Committee might ask him to do the same for skateboarding. The IOC is so pleased with the White demographic that new extreme sports were added in time for Sochi, including slopestyle and halfpipe skiing.

White was to be a big attraction in his quest for double gold at the Rosa Khutor Extreme Park. But on Wednesday he said he would skip Saturday’s slopestyle debut to concentrate on Tuesday’s halfpipe final, which he won in 2006 and 2010. He could become the first American male to win the same event in three consecutive Winter Games. There is much anticipation about the latest twist to his halfpipe routine — a frontside double-cork 1440 that adds an extra half revolution to the two flips of the Double McTwist 1260 he performed in Vancouver.

After jamming his wrist Tuesday on a fall on one of the steep takeoff ramps and observing other athletes’ wipeouts (Norway’s Torstein Horgmo broke a collarbone and Finn Marika Enne was treated for a concussion) on the challenging slopestyle course, White withdrew, prompting criticism that he was ducking competition because he realized he couldn’t win.

“I don’t think it’s dangerous,” McMorris said. “Snowboarding’s dangerous. But crossing the street is dangerous, too.”

White has been managing an ankle injury all season, injured his shoulder last month at Mammoth Lakes, Calif., and blackened an eye in a face plant last week at Copper Mountain in Colorado.

“With the practice runs I have taken, even after course modifications and watching fellow athletes get hurt, the potential risk of injury is a bit too much for me to gamble my other Olympics goals on,” he said Wednesday.

White was the underdog to McMorris, although McMorris cracked a rib at the X Games. The Canadian has mastered the 1440 triple cork maneuver while White has struggled to land it. White won five X Games titles in slopestyle and it was his first love as a kid, but he has focused on halfpipe in recent years. Juggling the two events this season was tougher than he expected.

“I wake up, ride the slopestyle, then cut over to pipe in the afternoon,” White said last month at an event in Breckenridge, Colo. “I’m getting really fit because of it. It brings out the best in me.”

Read more Olympics stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
In this photo taken Thursday Aug. 14, 2014, performers tied to wires to rehearse for the opening ceremony of the 2014 Nanjing Youth Olympic Games which opens Aug 16, 2014 in Nanjing in east China's Jiangsu province. (AP Photo) CHINA OUT

    Youth Olympics open in China amid Ebola worries

    Fears of the Ebola virus cast a cloud over Saturday's opening of the second Youth Olympics in the eastern Chinese city of Nanjing, after three athletes were barred from competition because of the risk of infection.

  •  
A Liberian woman holds up a pamphlet with guidance on how to prevent the Ebola virus from spreading, in the city of Monrovia, Liberia, Thursday, Aug. 14, 2014. Liberian officials faced a difficult choice Thursday: deciding which handful of Ebola patients will receive an experimental drug that could prove life-saving, ineffective or even harmful.

    Ebola: 3 athletes can't compete at Youth Olympics

    Three teenage athletes from the Ebola-affected region of Africa will not be allowed to compete at the Youth Olympics in China because of the risk of possible infection, the IOC and local organizers said Friday.

  • Ebola forces Sierra Leone to skip Youth Olympics

    Sierra Leone's National Olympic Committee says its delegation for the upcoming youth games was asked not to travel to China because of an outbreak of Ebola.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category