Movies

The Forge gets a new chef

 

Longtime Miami Beach restaurant the Forge has tapped a new leader for its kitchen: New York native chef Christopher Lee.

Lee’s cooking has earned serious accolades, including two Michelin stars from his time at Gilt and one at Aureole, both in Manhattan. He’s been named a Best New Chef by Food & Wine magazine and Rising Star Chef of the Year by the James Beard Foundation.

The Forge will mark Lee’s second cooking stint in Miami Beach.

He opened Eden Restaurant & Lounge at 210 23rd St. in late 2010. The restaurant received lukewarm reviews (“This odd eatery seems to be trying to figure out what it wants to be when it grows up,” Miami Herald critic Victoria Pesce Elliott noted) and closed in 2012.

Lee opened Sophia’s in Philadelphia last year, which closed in September. In October, he became executive chef of a marina resort in Rhode Island, a position he is leaving to start at the Forge in two weeks.

“It is an honor to join the legendary team at the Forge,” Lee said. “[Owner Shareef Malnik] and his team are very connected in the Miami market, and I’m confident that, coupled with my culinary experience, we will bring the Forge into the next chapter of its rich life. I look forward to moving to Miami and giving it my all.”

Malnik’s hiring of Lee comes two months after Dewey LoSasso left the restaurant’s executive chef position. LoSasso now oversees the food-and-beverage program for Acqualina Resort & Spa in Sunny Isles Beach.

The Forge, 432 41st St., closed for renovations in 2009, reopening in 2010 to critical acclaim for LoSasso’s updated menu and the restaurant’s $10 million face-lift.

Lee is currently working on his menu for the Forge, a converted 1920s blacksmith shop that has long been a hangout of celebrities and other bold-face names. That should roll out in the next few weeks, and Lee also is preparing to represent the Forge at next month’s South Beach Wine & Food Festival, a publicist for the restaurant said.

Evan Benn

Start your cameras

Calling all South Florida filmmakers: The Sundance Institute has chosen Miami as the first city in the U.S. to host one of its New Frontier Flash Lab Public Forums, which are intended to inspire creativity, teach and explore visual storytelling and challenge writers and artists in the art of narrative.

Organized by the Miami Filmmakers Collective and funded by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, the event will take place from 4-6 p.m. Feb. 15 at the New World Center's SunTrust Pavillion, 500 17th St., Miami Beach. Panelists include interactive media artist Scott Snibbe (Bjork's Biophila and Phillip Glass' Rework), artist and computer scientist Jonathan Harris ( Cowbird and We Feel Fine), filmmaker and media innovation strategist Jigar Mehta ( 18 Days in Egypt) and Susan Bonds, CEO of the multimedia design company 42 Entertainment.

The public forum will be preceded by a private intensive workshop in which a select group of local artists will get hands-on advice from the panelists on their ongoing work.

Admission is free, but tickets are required. E-mail newfrontierstorylab@sundance.org for more information.

Rene Rodriguez

Read more People stories from the Miami Herald

  • As seen on TV

    Attack of Sharknado 2: Oh yeah, there’s another one

    The idea of making a movie about a tornado that scoops up thousands of sharks and sends them flying through the air to chomp their way through a bevy of people, places and things sounds totally ridiculous. That didn’t stop Syfy from moving ahead with Sharknado, a movie that became a pop culture phenomenon last year. The mania reached such a fevered level that a sequel, Sharknado 2: The Second One, was ordered. It premieres at 9 p.m. Wednesday on Syfy.

  • La vida local

    Miami Heat player Mario Chalmers goes from basketball to golf; Ariana Grande talks family problems

    You’d think Mario Chalmers would be ready for his PGA card by now. On Monday, the Miami Heat point guard held his sixth annual golf tournament in Lawrence, Kansas, benefiting his namesake foundation and hanging out with his old college teammates from his days playing basketball with the University of Kansas.

  • Celebrity roundup

    Bachelorette Andi Dorfman: I was attracted to Josh Murray from the beginning

    Bachelorette (no more) Andi Dorfman stopped by Good Morning America on Tuesday to show off her ABC swag (aka engagement ring) from former pro baseball player Josh Murray. The 27-year-old lawyer and her 29-year-old grinning fiance held hands and looked pretty happy. “I definitely knew there was that chemistry and attraction with him,” Dorfman said of their first meeting. “I'm definitely an overthinker, though, so it took me till the very end.” Plus she had to break up with 24 guys first. No wedding date has been set yet; the couple need to do more publicity first.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category