WAR COURT

9/11 accused said to refuse Guantánamo mental exam

 

An accused Sept. 11 conspirator at Guantánamo is apparently not cooperating with an effort to determine if he is competent to stand trial.

Ramzi bin al Shibh declined to meet with three members of a military mental health review panel who sought to interview him last week at the U.S. base in Cuba, said Navy Lt. Cmdr. Kevin Bogucki, his Pentagon-appointed defense counsel.

Bin al Shibh told the panel members he “wasn’t able to meet with them at this time,” but he did not give a reason, Bogucki said. The lawyer and his civilian co-counsel said he was not allowed in the room during the exchange and heard about it from the interpreter.

Bin al Shibh told the panel members he “wasn’t able to meet with them at this time,” but he did not give a reason, Bogucki said. The lawyer and his civilian co-counsel said he was not allowed in the room during the exchange and heard about it from the interpreter.

A Department of Defense spokesman, Army Lt. Col. Todd Breasseale, declined comment.

Bogucki plans to ask the judge to change the makeup of the panel to include experts on the effects of torture and to grant more time for an evaluation scheduled to be completed by Feb. 1.

He said he was concerned that, without an interview, the panel may rely on previous medical records and conclude that Bin al Shibh has a delusional disorder, which his defense team disputes, but is still competent to stand trial. “If the government thinks this is an issue that needs to be settled, then it needs to be settled, but it needs to be done properly,” the lawyer said.

In December, the military judge presiding over the Sept. 11 case ordered a mental competency evaluation for bin al Shibh at the prosecution’s request after the defendant repeatedly disrupted pre-trial proceedings to complain that noises and vibrations are keeping him awake inside his cell.

He was ejected from the war court four times.

His lawyers, who say he was tortured and subjected to sleep deprivation in U.S. custody, want the judge to investigate potential causes of the noises. The military says nothing is being done to keep him awake.

Bin al Shibh is one of five defendants facing a capital conspiracy trial by military commission for their alleged roles planning and aiding the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attack.

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Accused USS Cole bomber Abd al Rahim al Nashiri, a Saudi, shown at left in a photo before his capture by the CIA in 2002 and by sketch artist Janet Hamlin during a 2011 arraignment at Guántanamo.

    Guantanamo

    Court: Poland violated human rights in CIA case

    Europe's top human rights court ruled Thursday that Poland violated the rights of two terror suspects by allowing the CIA to secretly imprison them on Polish soil from 2002-2003 and facilitating the conditions under which they were subject to torture.

  •  
Algerian Djamel Ameziane, a 42-year-old ethnic Berber, has been approved for release but wants to go to Canada, or another country, rather than the nation he fled in 1992. His lawyers have chosen Canada because he lived there for five years, and filed a failed application for political asylum. From Canada he went to Afghanistan, where he was captured in the U.S. invasion.

    IN THE COURTS

    Ex-Guantánamo detainee can’t get his money back

    Federal judge concludes a former Guantánamo detainee may no longer be a threat, but his money is.

  •  
The Kremlin.

    Russia bans congressman, 12 other Americans

    Russia has placed a U.S. lawmaker and 12 other people connected with the Guantanamo Bay detention camp and the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq on its list of those banned from entering the country.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category