Recap: NY Rangers vs. NY Islanders


The Sports Network

New York, NY ( - Thomas Vanek's power-play goal with 4:38 remaining capped a New York Islanders' comeback that sent the rival New York Rangers to a 5-3 loss Tuesday at Madison Square Garden.

The surging Islanders trailed 3-1 deep into the second period before erupting for four answered goals to rally for their seventh win in nine games. Vanek and Frans Nielsen each scored once and assisted on another, while John Tavares registered three helpers in the come-from-behind triumph.

Matt Martin, Thomas Hickey and Colin McDonald added goals and Kevin Poulin came up with 30 saves, 13 of which came in the final period, to help the Islanders prevail.

"We're a resilient team," said Hickey. "It comes down to the third period and if you win the third period, you win the game. [A bad start] is not a trend we're looking to continue, but it's good to know that we can be down and still be able to come back."

The Rangers had a three-game win streak stopped despite a pair of markers from Rick Nash and a one-goal, two-assist night out of Chris Kreider. Cameron Talbot, subbing for an under-the-weather Henrik Lundqvist, halted 32-of-36 shots.

After goals by Hickey and McDonald drew the Isles even at 3-3 entering the third period, the visitors capitalized on a costly Rangers penalty for too many men on the ice to move in front for the first time of the evening.

Nielsen's pass from the point was alertly redirected by Tavares right to Vanek, who slid a shot under Talbot's left skate for a 4-3 edge.

"I was in the right place at the right time," said Vanek afterward.

Poulin made the lead stand with strong work down the stretch, and Nielsen sealed the victory by forcing a turnover and skating nearly the length of the ice for an easy empty-netter with 6.1 seconds left.

"Obviously their top line had quite an evening," said Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault. "It was I thought a hard-fought battle by both teams, but at the end of the day we made a couple of mistakes and they made us pay."

The Islanders finished the contest better than they began it, as Kreider won a battle for a loose puck dumped into the opposing zone in the opening minute and sent a drop pass that a streaking Nash buried home a mere 62 seconds in.

Nash scored on a breakaway later in the first period, slipping behind the Islanders' defense to collect Kreider's outlet give before stuffing the puck under Poulin's right pad to stake the Rangers to a 2-0 advantage.

The Islanders were able to cut the deficit in half prior to the conclusion of the frame when Martin raced in from the bench to one-time a Tavares feed past Talbot 2:38 prior to the intermission.

Martin was sent off for roughing near the midway mark of the second period, however, enabling the Rangers to restore a two-goal differential on the resulting power play. Derek Stepan ripped a shot that struck the left post and got behind Poulin, with Kreider right on the doorstep to tap it in for a 3-1 Rangers' lead.

The Islanders roared back by striking twice within a span of just over three minutes. Hickey cut to the net to convert a well-placed centering feed from Kyle Okposo and McDonald scored the equalizer, which came on the rebound of a Tavares attempt during a transition rush.

Game Notes

Read more Hockey Wires stories from the Miami Herald

Colorado Avalanche center Paul Stastny (26) celebrates scoring the game winning goal against Minnesota Wild goalie Ilya Bryzgalov (30) from Russia as Marco Scandella (6) reacts during the fourth period in Game 1 of an NHL hockey first-round playoff series on Thursday, April 17, 2014, in Denver. Colorado beat Minnesota 5-4 in overtime.

    Stastny leads Avs to 5-4 OT win over Wild

    Paul Stastny scored 7:27 into overtime after tying the game with 13.4 seconds remaining in regulation, lifting the Colorado Avalanche to a 5-4 win over the Minnesota Wild in the opener of the Western Conference quarterfinals on Thursday night.

  • Recap: Colorado vs. Minnesota

    Paul Stastny tied the game in the final seconds of regulation, then scored the winner in overtime as the Colorado Avalanche took a 5-4 win over the Minnesota Wild in Game 1 of this Western Conference Quarterfinal series.

St. Louis Blues' Alexander Steen (20) scores the game-winning goal past Chicago Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford and Niklas Hjalmarsson (4) during the third overtime in Game 1 of a first-round NHL hockey Stanley Cup playoff series Thursday, April 17, 2014, in St. Louis. The Blues won 4-3 in triple overtime.

    Blues beat Blackhawks 4-3 in 3 OTs

    The St. Louis Blues went the distance, and then some, to get the jump on the defending Stanley Cup champions.

Join the

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category