Miami-Dade jury awards Keys man $5 million in case against Philip Morris

 

jweaver@MiamiHerald.com

A Miami-Dade jury on Friday issued a $5 million judgment against tobacco giant Philip Morris in a product-liability case involving a Florida Keys man who smoked Marlboro cigarettes from 1965 to 2009.

Antonio CuCulino, 69, who was diagnosed with coronary heart disease in 1994, was held partly at fault for his disease.

The six-person jury, after a two-week Circuit Court trial, returned a verdict of $12.5 million but reduced it by 60 percent, citing the smoker's inability to quit his one-and-half-pack-a-day habit after developing heart disease.

The jury also found no basis for punitive damages against Philip Morris.

In addition, RJ Reynolds was found not liable for the plaintiff’s illness. CuCulino had smoked Pall Mall cigarettes from 1958 to 1965.

CuCulino was represented by attorneys Allan Kaiser and Jeffrey Sloman of the Ferraro Law Firm in Miami.

Read more Breaking News stories from the Miami Herald

  • Federal court upholds Fla.'s docs vs. glocks law

    A Florida law restricting what doctors can tell patients about gun ownership was deemed to be constitutional Friday by a federal appeals court, which said it legitimately regulates professional conduct and doesn't violate the doctors' First Amendment free speech rights.

  •  
A workman quickly slides a dustmop over the floor at the Central Intelligence Agency headquarters in Langley, Va., near Washington, in this March 3, 2005 file photo. About a dozen former CIA officials named in a classified Senate report on decade-old agency interrogation practices were notified in recent days that they would be able to review parts of the document in a secure room in suburban Washington after signing a secrecy agreement. Then, on Friday, July 25, 2014 many were told they would not be able to see it, after all.

    Some in 'torture' report denied chance to read it

    About a dozen former CIA officials named in a classified Senate report on decade-old agency interrogation practices were notified in recent days that they would be able to review parts of the document in a secure room in suburban Washington after signing a secrecy agreement.

  •  
A sign stands at 1448 NW 103rd St. in Miami to let passers-by know the government demolished the house even though the owner was on active military duty.

    Miami-Dade County

    Miami-Dade demolished active-duty soldier’s home

    A federal judge ruled last week that the county should have delayed building-code violation proceedings against the soldier when he asked for a stay while he was in Iraq.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category