Rocket fire kills at least 3 in Lebanon in worrisome sign of Syria conflict’s spread

 

McClatchy Foreign Staff

Rockets rained down Friday on villages throughout Lebanon’s eastern Bekaa Valley, with both Sunni and Shiite villages targeted in one of the worst outbreaks of sectarian violence in months as the division between the two communities over the civil war in Syria deepens.

Residents of Arsal, a predominately Sunni border town that staunchly supports the Syrian rebellion, reported that rockets fired from a nearby Shiite Muslim enclave controlled by Hezbollah had struck the center of the city, killing at least eight people and wounding 20. The Lebanese National News Agency quoted anonymous officials saying that the rockets had been fired from neighboring Syria, but residents of Arsal were adamant that the munitions had originated with Hezbollah, which also operates inside Syria in defense of its ally, Syrian President Bashar Assad.

The rocket fire came one day after the Nusra Front, a Syrian rebel group with ties to al Qaida, claimed a suicide car bombing that killed three people in Hermel, a Shiite-controlled town. Friday, rockets struck several nearby Shiite villages causing material damage but no casualties.

Hezbollah has justified its military support for Assad by citing the frequent shelling of Shiite villages on both sides of the border, saying it needs to protect Shiites from Sunni rebels tied to al Qaida.

“Well, now we have a civil war,” remarked Abu Rami, a former Christian militiaman in Beirut as he heard the news on the radio. “This reminds me of 1975.”

The 1975-1990 Lebanese civil war saw Lebanon’s religious communities establish militias and operate heavy weapons outside the control of the feeble central government. The current crisis, which has pitted Hezbollah and its mostly Shiite supporters against Lebanon’s increasingly alienated Sunni community, has long been expected to deteriorate as armed Sunni groups from Syria increase their operations inside Lebanon.

“It’s not quite a civil war because the Sunnis haven’t properly organized yet, but that’s changing with influence from Syria,” said a Western military attache in Beirut, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he’s not authorized to speak with reporters. “Call it a steady decline in government authority and an increasingly violent series of civil disturbances.”

According to a rebel activist, Abu Omar al Hujieri, one of the rockets appeared to target the home of Ahmad al Hujieri, a well known rebel activist and a cousin of Abu Omar. The Hujieri family is one of the largest and most powerful Sunni families in Arsal and openly supports the rebels in Syria.

Abu Omar said Ahmad al Hujieri’s family was home. “At least three of his daughters were killed,” he said.

Prothero is a McClatchy special correspondent.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • China military shows off newest choppers, tanks

    China is showing off the growing sophistication of its defense industries by featuring its newest attack helicopters and main battle tanks at a multinational live-firing military exercise in the country's north.

  •  
Bahrainis, some of them waving flags, chant anti-government slogans and hold up signs urging freedom for jailed doctors, political leaders and others during a march in Jidhafs, Bahrain, Saturday, Aug. 23, 2014. The sign at back second right reads, "free blind prisoner Jaffar Matooq for treatment." A small group of youths began blocking streets to challenge riot police after the march by opposition groups accusing the government of naturalizing tens of thousands of people, largely to work in the police and military, in an effort to change the tiny Gulf island monarchy's demographics.

    Bahrain: No invitation to expelled US diplomat

    Bahrain has denied that it offered an invitation to a top U.S. diplomat who was earlier expelled after he met with a leading Shiite opposition group, extending a rift between Washington and the tiny, strategic Gulf nation.

  •  
Managing Director of Khazanah Nasional, Berhad Azman Mokthar speaks during a press conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Friday, Aug. 29, 2014. Khazanah Nasional, the state investment company that owns 69 percent of Malaysia Airline, said the overhaul includes the establishment of a new company that will take over the existing Malaysia Airlines business and its reduced staff. The airlines will cut 6,000 workers as part of an overhaul announced Friday to revive its damaged brand after being hit by double passenger jet disasters.

    Malaysia Airlines to cut 6,000 staff in overhaul

    Malaysia Airlines will cut 6,000 workers as part of a $1.9 billion overhaul announced Friday to revive its damaged brand after being hit by double passenger jet disasters.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category