Appeals court rejects damages bid by ex-Gitmo detainee

 
 
In this image reviewed by the U.S. Military, razor wire lines the Guantánamo detention facility, pictured at sunrise, at the U.S. Navy Base, in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, Nov. 19, 2008.
In this image reviewed by the U.S. Military, razor wire lines the Guantánamo detention facility, pictured at sunrise, at the U.S. Navy Base, in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, Nov. 19, 2008.
BRENNAN LINSLEY / ASSOCIATED PRESS

McClatchy Washington Bureau

An appeals court on Friday rejected a bid for compensation filed by a former detainee once held by U.S. forces in Afghanistan and Guantánamo Bay.

In a 20-page, unanimous decision, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit turned back the appeal of Rahim Abdul Razak al Janko.

He is a Syrian citizen who alleges that he traveled to Afghanistan in January 2000. Shortly thereafter, the appeals court summed up, "the Taliban forced him to confess to spying for the United States and Israel and imprisoned him in Kandahar, where he was tortured by his Taliban captors" until U.S. forces liberated the prison

"Allegedly on the basis of misinterpreted intelligence, however, U.S. officials identified the Appellant as an enemy combatant," the appeals court summed up. "He alleges that, for the next seven years, U.S. officials subjected him to torture, physical and psychological degradation and other forms of mistreatment."

Janko was freed and sent to Belgium in 2009. He subsequently sued over his treatment.

The appellate court, in a decision written by Judge Karen LeCraft Henderson, concluded that Congress had expressly prohibited lawsuits like this from individuals who had previously been deemed by a Combatant Status Review Panel to be "properly detained."

Two tribunals made such a determination during Janko's imprisonment.

"The statute does not say that the (lawsuit) bar applies to an alien whom 'the United States has properly determined to have been properly detained as an enemy combatant," the appeals court stated. "It requires only that the Executive Branch determine that the (Authorization for Use of Military Force) authorizes the alien’s detention without regard to the determination’s correctness."

 

 

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Algerian Djamel Ameziane, a 42-year-old ethnic Berber, has been approved for release but wants to go to Canada, or another country, rather than the nation he fled in 1992. His lawyers have chosen Canada because he lived there for five years, and filed a failed application for political asylum. From Canada he went to Afghanistan, where he was captured in the U.S. invasion.

    IN THE COURTS

    Ex-Guantánamo detainee can’t get his money back

    Federal judge concludes a former Guantánamo detainee may no longer be a threat, but his money is.

  •  
The Kremlin.

    Russia bans congressman, 12 other Americans

    Russia has placed a U.S. lawmaker and 12 other people connected with the Guantanamo Bay detention camp and the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq on its list of those banned from entering the country.

  •  
In this image from video, Eugene R. Fidell, the lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday, July 16, 2014, in an interview with The Associated Press that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

    Bergdahl hires lawyer for military investigation

    The lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category