A tangy, sweet sauce glazes this meatloaf made with ground sirloin and turkey sausage.
My secret for quick meatloaf is to bake it on a sheet pan, which allows hot air to circulate all around the meat for quick cooking. The side dish of sweet potatoes and green beans takes only minutes to make in the microwave.
This meal contains 601 calories with 27 percent of calories from fat.
Fred Tasker’s wine tip: Meatloaf cries out for a soft red like malbec from Argentina.
• To quickly defrost frozen onion and bell pepper, place in a colander in the sink and rinse with hot water. Press out the water before proceeding.
• Low-salt or no-salt-added ketchup is available in most supermarkets.
• Heat oven to 400 degrees.
• Prepare meatloaf ingredients.
• Make meatloaf.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for tonight’s Dinner in Minutes.
• To buy: 1 package low-fat, Italian-style turkey sausage (1/4 pound needed); 1/2 pound 95 percent lean ground beef; 1 package chopped/diced frozen green bell pepper; 1 package chopped/diced frozen onion; 1 package brown sugar; 1 bottle Dijon mustard; 3/4 pound sweet potatoes; 1/2 pound green beans; 1 bottle cayenne.
• Staples: Olive oil, minced garlic, low-salt ketchup, salt, black peppercorns.
Linda Gassenheimer is the author, most recently, of “Fast and Flavorful: Great Diabetes Meals from Market to Table.” Her website is dinnerinminutes.com. Follow her on Twitter @lgassenheimer.