GETTING STARTED: SCORE Miami-Dade presents Simple Steps for starting a Business. The first seminar is free and will be 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at these dates and locations: Tuesday, Jan. 14, SBA offices, downtown Miami; Thursday, Jan. 16, Miami Innovation Center. More info: miamidade.score.org (click on local workshops)
• PUBLIC SUMMIT: Join the final summit to develop the Seven50 plan, a blueprint for ensuring economic prosperity and quality of life for Southeast Florida, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 15, Broward County Convention Center. Info: Seven50.org
• SMALL BUSINESS EXPO: Business-to-business networking event, trade show and conference, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 16, Miami Beach Convention Center, Hall B. Free for attendees. More info: http://www.thesmallbusienssexpo.com
• COMMERCE FACTORY: The topic is “Creating the Arduino Yún & the Future of the Internet of Things.” Speaker: Vaughn Shinall of Temboo. Inaugural event is 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 16, at The LAB Miami. More info: www.thelabmiami.com
• LUNCH & LEARN: FIU Pino Center offers a workshop titled The Entrepreneur’s Legal Basics on Friday, Jan. 17, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., FIU Downtown on Brickell. Speakers: attorneys Zachariah R.F. Evangelista and Roberto M. Suárez. More info: entrepreneurship.fiu.edu
• YellowPepper, the mobile banking and payment company serving Latin American markets, is moving its headquarters to offices in the heart of Wynwood and expanding its Miami-based development team by about 10 people, the company’s CEO, Serge Elkiner, said last week. About 15 of the venture-funded company’s 80 employees will be based at the headquarters when renovation on the warehouse space is completed in a couple of months.
• Seven South Florida companies were selected to present at the 23rd annual Florida Venture Capital Conference. Jan. 28-29 at the Hyatt Regency Orlando. The companies: Avionica, Deliver Lean, Guide, Itopia, Kleo, Leapfactor and Mergenet Medical. The mid-stage ventures -- 16 in all from throughout Florida -- will deliver presentations to an audience of venture capitalists, private equity investors, angel investors and investment bankers. To learn more about the conference: www.flventure.org.
Find more on these stories and lots more startup news, such as GetMyRx’s app launch in Miami-Dade County, and community views, such as “My year with Knight” by Kairos CEO Brian Brackeen, on the Starting Gate blog on MiamiHerald.com/business.
Nancy Dahlberg @ndahlberg