1. The remaining six defendants charged in the hazing death of a former Florida A&M drum major are set to appear in court. A status hearing is slated for Friday morning. The six former FAMU band members face manslaughter and hazing charges in the November 2011 death of Robert Champion. Their cases were advanced on the trial docket late last year, but their attorneys continue to discuss possible pleas.
2. Noted American and international writers are exploring the crime, mystery and literary thriller genres in this island city during the Key West Literary Seminar. Nearly 800 registrants are participating in the 32nd annual seminar, whose first session began Thursday night with an address by mystery writer Sara Paretsky, creator of groundbreaking female investigator V.I. Warshawski.
3. The Miami Heat will try to rebound after a loss to the New York Knicks. At 8 p.m. Friday, the Heat will take on the Brooklyn Nets on SUN.
4. A husband-and-wife pair of South Florida cops have been sentenced to prison for illegally dealing in stolen guns and filing false tax returns
5. After a dreary, rainy couple days in South Florida, drier weather is setting in for Friday and the weekend in Miami-Dade and Broward. Meanwhile, Palm Beach County is under water from heavy rain and flooding.