Seven people were taken to the hospital after the Hollywood Fire Department discovered lethal levels of carbon monoxide in their home, according to Hollywood's Division Chief Joel Medina.
Medina said the department received a call that someone in the home at on the 1900 block of Thomas St. wasn’t feeling well. When a fire rescue crew arrived. its portable carbon monoxide detectors went off, indicating high levels of the deadly gas.
The four adults and three children in the home were taken to Memorial Regional Hospital for evaluation.
“Carbon monoxide is a tasteless, colorless, odorless gas,” Medina said. “You don’t know its there until someone gets sick from it or even dies.”
Crews from the city and TECO Gas later discovered the source of the gas was a tank-less water heater in a closet, Medina said. The house is being ventilated and the family is expected to be able to return sometime Monday. Their identities were not released.