• CIVIC HACKING: Join developers, entrepreneurs, civic leaders and others wanting to code for the public good at Code for Miami, 7 p.m., Monday, Jan. 6, The LAB Miami.
• GETTING STARTED: SCORE Miami-Dade presents Simple Steps for starting a Business. The first seminar is free and will be 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at these dates and locations: Wednesday, Jan. 8, Chamber South; Jan. 14, SBA offices, downtown Miami; Jan. 16, Miami Innovation Center. More info: miamidade.score.org (click on local workshops)
• CREATIVE WAKE-UP: Dr. William Murphy Jr., inventor, entrepreneur, owner of 17 patents, and founder of Cordis, will speak at Creative Mornings Miami, 8:30 a.m. to 10 a.m., Friday, Jan. 10, InterContinental Miami. More info: creativemornings.com/cities/mia
• PUBLIC SUMMIT: Join the final summit to develop the Seven50 plan, a blueprint for ensuring economic prosperity and quality of life for Southeast Florida, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., Jan. 15, Broward County Convention Center. Info: Seven50.org
• SMALL BUSINESS EXPO: Business-to-business networking event, trade show and conference, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Jan. 16, Miami Beach Convention Center, Hall B. Free for attendees. More info: www.thesmallbusinessexpo.com
• LUNCH & LEARN. FIU Pino Center offers a workshop titled The Entrepreneur’s Legal Basics on Jan. 17, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., FIU Downtown on Brickell. Speakers: attorneys Zachariah R.F. Evangelista and Roberto M. Suárez. More info: entrepreneurship.fiu.edu
Keep up with the latest startup news and community views on the Starting Gate blog on MiamiHerald.com/business.
Nancy Dahlberg @ndahlberg