Redland

Jimmy Ryce killer to be executed Feb. 12, governor’s office says

 

Juan Carlos Chavez confessed to kidnapping, raping and shooting the 9-year-old boy in South Miami-Dade in September 1995. Gov. Rick Scott signed the death warrant, with Chavez to be put to death Feb. 12.

dovalle@MiamiHerald.com

The South Miami-Dade farmhand who raped, murdered and dismembered 9-year-old Jimmy Ryce almost two decades ago will be executed at 6 p.m. Feb. 12, Gov. Rick Scott’s office announced Thursday.

Juan Carlos Chavez was convicted of the 1995 murder that shocked Florida, sparked nationwide efforts to improve searches for missing children and led to the passage of a law that allows the state to indefinitely detain sexual predators.

Chavez, 46, will be executed by lethal injection at the Florida State Prison in Starke, Scott announced.

“I just received the news that justice will finally be done in the murder of my son, Jimmy, on September 11, 1995,” Don Ryce, the boy’s father, said in a statement Thursday. “I feel a combination of sadness and relief. I hope this sends a message to predators that this behavior will not go unpunished.”

The Ryce family was living in the Redland when Jimmy disappeared Sept. 11, 1995, near his school-bus stop.

The search for the boy riveted South Florida and terrified parents. Hundreds of volunteers joined the search. His family held frequent press conferences.

Then-Gov. Lawton Chiles urged the public to help find Jimmy. Walmart issued missing-children bulletins.

But the search turned to mourning when Chavez’s employer found Jimmy’s book bag in the trailer where the farmhand was living. His parents rushed back to Miami-Dade after taping an episode of Oprah Winfrey’s television show.

Jimmy’s dismembered remains were found sealed in cement-filled pots behind Chavez's home.

Chavez confessed to kidnapping the boy at gunpoint, driving him to the remote trailer on a horse farm, raping him, then shooting him when the boy tried to escape.

Because of pervasive publicity, Chavez’s 1998 trial was moved to Orlando. At trial, Chavez claimed his confession, elicited over 50 hours of police questioning, was coerced. He tried to blame his employer’s son for the murder. He claimed he had been afraid to report the crime because he was a counterrevolutionary in his native Cuba and feared for his life if he were deported.

Jurors rejected his claims, and after less than seven hours of deliberations, convicted him of murder, sexual battery and kidnapping.

At the sentencing, Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Marc Schumacher pointed to the savage manner in which the boy was murdered. On at least two occasions during his kidnapping, Chavez said Jimmy asked whether he was going to be killed. Chavez said he refused to say.

“The defendant, Juan Carlos Chavez, by his actions has forfeited his right to live among us," Schumacher said. “There can be no doubt that Samuel James Ryce lived every minute of the last few hours of his life with the fear of death.”

Ryce’s parents became crusaders for child victims, and met with then-President Bill Clinton as he signed an order allowing the posting of missing children’s photos in federal buildings.

Claudine Ryce and her husband, a labor lawyer, created a foundation in her son’s name, helping schools develop “stranger-danger” programs, donating tracking bloodhounds to police departments, supporting the parents of abducted children, and pushing for anti-predator legislation.

They also pushed for the landmark and often-controversial 1998 Jimmy Ryce Act, which allows the state to indefinitely detain violent sexual predators who have completed their sentences under civil law until they can prove they are rehabilitated.

Claudine Ryce died of a heart attack in 2009. Martha Ryce, Jimmy’s sister, committed suicide at age 35 in December 2012. Both had longed to see Jimmy’s killer put to death.

The appeals process for Chavez moved relatively quickly compared to many other cases.

In 2007, his former defense attorney, Art Koch, claimed that he provided shoddy representation. Koch testified that he was on medication at the time, instructed Chavez to lie on the stand and insisted that then-Public Defender Bennett Brummer would not allow him to vigorously defend Chavez.

But Judge Schumacher denied the claim, saying Koch “is not a credible witness.”

In June 2009, the Florida Supreme Court rejected Chavez’s arguments that he did not receive adequate legal help and did not understand the American justice system when he waived his right to remain silent.

“It’s a vindication of the excellent work we did,” retired Miami-Dade Detective Pat Diaz, the case’s lead investigator, said Thursday. “The evidence was overwhelming. He shot Jimmy in the back and he didn’t die immediately. One of the worst crimes that could ever happen.”

Read more Florida stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
 <span class="cutline_leadin">Polynesian Pull-Aparts</span>

    Cook’s Corner

    Florida cooks are finalists in Pillsbury Bake-Off

    Plus: Pumpkin flavors and Rosh Hashana recipes.

  • CAMPAIGN FINANCE

    High court weighs campaign cash in judicial races

    The Florida Bar said it stands behind its position that judicial candidates should not personally solicit contributions, but that appellate courts across the country have taken differing positions.

  • CAMPAIGN 2014 | Analysis

    Governor candidates stump on Labor Day

    Rick Scott in some respects makes it easy on journalists. If a reporter misses something he says in an interview, maybe even spaces out for a moment, it doesn’t really matter because Scott is certain to say the same thing again. And again. And again.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category