Syrian government forces seize town critical to chemical weapons transport

 

McClatchy Foreign Staff

Syrian government troops supported by the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah took control of a strategic crossroads Monday in far western Syria and reopened the country’s main highway to the coast, according to state-run Syrian media and rebel activists.

The capture of the town of Nabek from rebels trying to topple the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad is considered critical to transporting the remnants of Syria’s chemical weapons stores out of the country for destruction.

Syrian state television claimed the capture happened on Sunday, but Assad-sympathetic news outlets in neighboring Lebanon said that the town was brought completely under control after the eastern section was captured on Monday.

An otherwise nondescript village in the far northwestern Damascus suburbs, Nabek sits along the main highway connecting Damascus to the Mediterranean port of Tartus, where international experts have said Syria’s chemical weapons stockpiles will need to be loaded onto ships for disposal.

The head of the global chemical weapons watchdog group said Monday that fighting could delay the transfer of the most dangerous chemical weapons – scheduled for destruction by Dec. 31 – but that their destruction would meet the final deadline of the middle of 2014.

“In view of the circumstances in this country, it will be quite difficult to meet this timeline,” Ahmet Uzumcu, in Oslo to accept the 2013 Nobel Peace Prize on Tuesday, told a news conference. “There are very demanding timelines that we want to fulfill and I’m confident that the deadline of end of June next year (to destroy the weapons) will be met.”

The capture of Nabek came three weeks into an operation mounted by Syrian army troops, members of the National Defense Force, a militia of regime loyalists, and Hezbollah’s Shiite fighters to clear rebels from the Qalamoun region along Syria’s mountainous border with Lebanon. Government forces, backed by heavy air and artillery bombardment, have driven rebels from most of the area, with the exception of the rebel-held town of Yabrud.

Rebel forces were expected to counterattack, though their ability to launch a major offensive was expected to be hampered by what forecasters say may be the most powerful winter storm to hit the region in a decade, bringing the first significant snowfall to the rugged mountain area this season. Temperatures are expected to remain below freezing for much the week.

The al Qaida-affiliated Nusra Front has been given responsibility for coordinating rebel forces in Qalamoun, though rebel commanders say Nusra and fighters from another al Qaida affiliate, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, do not make up the majority of the rebels.

“(The rebels) have been pushed back from Nabek,” said Abu Omar al Hueijeri, a Lebanese activist and rebel fighter from the nearby Lebanese city of Arsal. “They will attempt a counterattack tomorrow if they can in the storm.”

Hueijeri said rebels forces had been unable to resist the combination of aerial bombardment and foreign reinforcements, which included Iranian soldiers. “The regime air power with Hezbollah and Iranian troops have made it very difficult to hold the towns in the face of such death,” Hueijeri said.

Local aid groups in Lebanon called for extra supplies and assistance for hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees in eastern Lebanon as the war passed its 1,000th day.

Both Hezbollah and rebel military fighters said they expect the next, and final, phase of the fight for Qalamoun to center on Yabrud, the largest population center remaining in rebel hands along the border with Lebanon. Its fall would break a major rebel supply line between Lebanon’s Arsal, which is fiercely loyal to the rebels, and the contested suburbs of Damascus. Such a break would be catastrophic for the rebels.

“If Yabrud falls we will be cut off from the battle,” Hueijeri said.

Prothero is a McClatchy special correspondent. Twitter: @mitchprothero

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Indian Muslim women display their voters identity cards as they stand in a queue to cast their votes at a polling station in Mumbai India, Thursday, April 24, 2014. The multiphase voting across the country runs until May 12, with results for the 543-seat lower house of parliament expected on May 16.

    Death toll rises to 9 after voting in India

    The death toll from a major day of voting in the world's biggest election rose to nine Friday, according to police, who say suspected rebels killed five paramilitary soldiers and four polling officials who were traveling on buses after conducting balloting in two Indian states.

  • NKorea denies drones were sent to South

    North Korea is denying accusations from Seoul that it sent small, unarmed drone aircraft over the border recently. Three of the drones crashed and were analyzed by the South, which said they came from North Korea.

  •  
A relative of Chinese passengers onboard the Malaysia Airlines MH370 wrapped in a blanket against the cold holds up a sign which reads "Meet the Commitment" as he protest outside the Malaysia embassy in Beijing, China, Friday, April 25, 2014. Relatives angry at waiting for more than 8 hours in vain for a Malaysia embassy representative to attend their daily meeting marched to the Malaysia embassy and protested through the night.

    Seabed search for missing Malaysian jet to widen

    The seabed search for the missing Malaysia Airlines jet is set to widen as a sonar scan of the most likely crash site deep beneath the Indian Ocean nears completion without yielding a single clue, authorities said Friday.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category