CHARLOTTE -- Per a report by the Palm Beach Post’s Tom D’Angelo, Florida State and coach Jimbo Fisher have reached an agreement on a contract extension that will make Fisher one of the 10 highest paid coaches in college football.
Under the new deal, Fisher will average $4.1 million dollars per year over the next 5 to 7 years. An official announcement is expected sometime next week.
Fisher took over Florida State four years ago. At the time, the program was fresh off a 7-6 season and coaching legend Bobby Bowden had just retired.
Overall Fisher is 44-10 and has won two consecutive conference championships.
Florida State redshirt freshman kicker Roberto Aguayo has been nearly perfect this season.
Aguayo hit two extra points and a 45-yard field goal to give him 142 points for the year.
That mark broke Florida State’s previous record set by Dustin Hopkins last season. Aguayo is currently a finalist for the Groza award. He has missed just one kick — a 43-yard field goal — all season.
this and that
• When Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston found Kelvin Benjamin in the end zone for a 14-yard touchdown early in the second quarter he tied two major records. The touchdown was Winston’s 36th of the season. That mark tied Clemson’s Tajh Boyd for the most in Atlantic Coast Conference history.
Winston’s 36 touchdowns also tied Sam Bradford’s record for the most touchdowns thrown by a freshman in a season.
• When Duke held Florida State scoreless in the first quarter it marked the first time in 15 games the Seminoles failed to score in the first quarter.
Florida State threatened on their second drive of the game but after running for 22 yards, Devonta Freeman (Miami Central) was stripped at the 3-yard line and Duke recovered.
The last team to hold FSU scoreless in the first quarter was Florida in November of last year.
• Kelvin Benjamin’s second-quarter touchdown reception was his 13th of the year.
That ties him for the second most touchdown receptions in a single season at Florida State with Anquan Boldin (‘02) and Barry Smith (‘72).
• FSU picked up their 14th Atlantic Coast Conference Title with their win over Duke.
• The Seminoles finished 13-0 for the first time in Florida State history.
• Rashad Greene has now caught a pass in 28 consecutive games.
• Florida State’s captains were all seniors.
Linebacker Telvin Smith, safety Lamarcus Joyner and center Bryan Stork represented FSU at midfield for the pre-game coin toss.