Death toll now at 52 in Yemen Defense Ministry attack being blamed on al Qaida

 

McClatchy Foreign Staff

More than 50 people were killed in a deadly attack in the Yemeni capital Thursday when militants penetrated the headquarters of the nation’s Ministry of Defense in a two-stage assault that began shortly after the start of the workday.

Security officials said the attack began about 9 a.m. when a suicide bomber detonated an explosives-laden vehicle at one of the ministry’s entrances. Taking advantage of the confusion the explosion caused, a second vehicle broke into the ministry’s perimeter, disgorging gunmen wearing military uniforms who opened fire, engaging soldiers stationed inside the ministry in a lengthy series of gun battles.

The gunmen also attacked staff and patients at a medical clinic inside the ministry compound that is popular with Yemen’s elite.

At least four foreigners, all medical workers, were among the dead, authorities said.

The death toll rose throughout the day to at least 52. Those included a prominent judge taking part in Yemen’s ongoing Conference of National Dialogue, a government-sponsored effort at settling political differences, and a cousin of Yemen’s president, who was killed as he was visiting a patient at the clinic.

The ministry’s building sustained extensive damage, while the windows of many nearby buildings were blown out. Gunfire continued to be heard near the building into Friday morning. Roads near the building remained shut off as a protective measure. Estimates by Defense Ministry officials of the number of attackers ranged from 15 to 30. There was no word on how many of them were continuing to fight.

No organization immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, the most brazen in Sanaa since May 2012, when a suicide bomber dressed in a military uniform blew himself up in the middle of a rehearsal for a military parade, killing more than 100 soldiers.

Suspicion fell, however, on al Qaida’s local franchise, al Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, with analysts pointing out that the two-stage assault was similar to a 2008 attack on the U.S. Embassy here, when al Qaida militants used a car bomb to breach the building’s outer security perimeter, allowing gunmen to open fire on security forces and those waiting outside.

The tactic also was used in recent attacks on Yemeni military installations in the southeast of the country.

“We need to keep in mind that the tactics used today resemble the tactics used in the attacks in Shabwa and Mukalla,” said Fernando Carvajal, a Sanaa-based analyst, referring to a province and a city, respectively, in the country’s south. “And I think this, in addition to the fighters’ decision to choose a soft spot within the Ministry of Defense, suggest the work of al Qaida.”

The Ministry of Defense is in the center of Sanaa. Other key government buildings, including Yemen’s central bank, are nearby.

The Yemeni government, headed by President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, who replaced longtime leader Ali Abdullah Saleh following a 2011 Arab Spring-inspired anti-government uprising, faces challenges on several fronts as it attempts to return stability to the conflict-wracked nation. Secessionists are battling government forces in the south, there are tensions between Salafi and Shiite rebels in the north, and political divisions continue in the capital.

Yemeni Defense Minister Mohamed Nasser Ahmed, who is in the United States heading a military delegation to Washington, has been targeted in numerous assassination attempts; he’s seen as one of Hadi’s closest allies.

Many in Sanaa speculated that the attack might be tied to continuing power struggles within the Yemeni military that trace their origin to the 2011 defection of military strongman and former Saleh ally Ali Mohsen. Early in the day, some went so far as to raise fears of an attempted coup, speculation that itself served as stark evidence of Yemen’s lingering instability.

Regardless of who was behind the attack, many shocked residents said the larger message of the attack remained the same: Yemen is an unpredictable and volatile place.

“We can debate whether this was al Qaida or something else,” said Ali, a cab driver who was ferrying passengers away from the security perimeter blocking the road to the ministry; he declined to identify himself further for security reasons. “But for us, you can almost say it doesn’t matter. There’s no security, and we have to figure out a way to continue to live our lives knowing that something like this can happen at any moment.”

Baron is a McClatchy special correspondent.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Judge Kuenyehia from Ghana, back row center, sits in the courtroom of the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, Netherlands, Thursday, July 24, 2014. Appeals judges at the ICC have upheld a decision to allow a Moammar Gadhafi-era intelligence chief to be put on trial in Libya. The appeals panel ruled Thursday that the case against Abdullah al-Senoussi should not be handled by the Hague-based court because prosecutors in Libya are pursuing similar charges against him. The ICC indicted Al-Senoussi in 2011 on crimes against humanity charges of murder and persecution allegedly committed during Gadhafi’s unsuccessful attempt to put down a popular revolt against his regime. Al-Senoussi is currently in detention in Libya.

    ICC: Gadhafi-era spy chief can be tried in Libya

    Appeals judges at the International Criminal Court have upheld a decision that allows Libyan authorities to put on trial a former intelligence chief from Moammar Gadhafi's era.

  • Europe lifts recommendation not to fly to Tel Aviv

    The European Aviation Safety Agency has lifted a recommendation that airlines refrain from flying to Tel Aviv airport.

  • EU regulator: Morning-after pill OK for all women

    A commonly used morning-after pill is suitable for use by heavier women, the European Medicines Agency said Thursday after a review of the evidence sparked by the French manufacturer's declaration that the drugs didn't work in women weighing more than 80 kilograms (176 pounds).

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category