House and Senate inch toward deal on federal budget

 
 
Congress is working to prevent another shutdown that might close the government - and the National Zoo.
Congress is working to prevent another shutdown that might close the government - and the National Zoo.
Tish Wells / McClatchy

McClatchy Washington Bureau

Congressional budget negotiators are zeroing in on a modest deal to keep the federal government operating while easing the grip of the mandatory automatic spending cuts known as sequestration.

With the clock ticking toward a Dec. 13 deadline to report to Congress, the bipartisan conference committee led by Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., and Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., is weighing a plan that would set spending levels for fiscal 2014 and 2015.

The goal is to avoid a train wreck like the one that caused the 16-day partial government shutdown in October. The shutdown ended when lawmakers agreed to a stopgap measure to fund the government for three months. That funding measure expires Jan. 15, the same day that $109.3 billion in sequestration cuts are due to kick in.

Those close to the talks caution that nothing is final yet – and everything could blow apart at any moment.

But so far, there’s cautious optimism. Negotiators are considering a 2014 budget for discretionary items – those under Congress’ control – that would spend at an annual rate of about $1 trillion, more than the $967 billion that conservative Republicans want but less than the $1.058 trillion Senate Democrats endorsed.

The budget leaders are crafting a plan to soften the blow of sequestration’s across-the-board spending cuts by finding savings in other areas of the budget and by generating revenue through increasing some user fees. The federal government attaches these small fees on things that range from airline tickets to national parks usage.

That would allow the two parties to claim that their sacred cows were untouched: Democrats who balk at cuts to entitlement programs such as Social Security and Republicans who won’t accept tax increases.

They do generally agree that they want to spend more than the sequester would allow. Many in Congress maintain that the cuts are harming military preparedness and social programs.

“Chairman Ryan and I continue to talk, and I am hopeful that we can keep making progress and reach a bipartisan agreement,” Murray said Wednesday. “I know that families in Washington state and across the country are looking to us to get something done to address the cuts from sequestration that are impacting the workers and communities around our military base, as well as critical investments in education, jobs, economic growth and medical research.”

Rep. Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, a conferee who’s also the ranking Democrat on the House Budget Committee, placed the odds of reaching a deal at 50-50.

“It’s a jump ball,” Van Hollen said Tuesday. “It could go either way.”

“Everything is very fluid right now,” agreed Rep. Tom Cole, R-Okla., the chairman of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on the Legislative Branch.

One roadblock: Congressional conservatives and their allies may balk at raising user fees, calling it a tax increase in disguise.

“It’s pretty close to a gimmick as opposed to real revenue enhancers,” said Steve Ellis, the vice president of Taxpayers for Common Sense. “They’re just looking around for an easy way out that doesn’t exist. If Friday the 13th comes and goes, it won’t surprise me.”

Veteran budget expert Steve Bell, a former chief of staff for the Senate Budget Committee, expects the bicameral talks to fail.

“Anything can happen,” said Bell, a senior director at the Bipartisan Policy Center, a research organization. A key question, he said, is whether incumbents in the House of Representatives think it’s better politically if they reach a deal or continue to clash over spending.

Cole, who’s an adviser to House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, countered that if the principal negotiators agree on a plan, so will most lawmakers.

“My assumption is if a Republican House and Democratic Senate can come to a deal, there will be enough votes in the House and Senate to get us there,” he said.

Ryan was the party’s 2012 vice-presidential candidate, and conservatives regard him highly. Murray is part of the Senate Democratic leadership and is respected by the party’s liberal wing.

As a fail-safe measure, House Republican leaders reportedly are preparing a short-term “continuing resolution” to keep the federal government operating beyond Jan. 15 at a $967 billion sequester-level spending cap urged by Republicans. The bill might be voted on as early as next week.

But even that measure might prove problematic, because Democrats would want stopgap spending above $967 billion to help blunt the looming sequestration cuts.

In October, House Democrats unanimously voted for a continuing resolution that ended the partial shutdown at the 2013 level of $986 billion, which included sequestration cuts. Many of them did so thinking that the three months would give Congress time to come up with a sequestration solution. That hasn’t happened.

“I’m not going to support a short-term CR that leads to a 967 level,” House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer, D-Md., said Tuesday. “I believe that hurts our national security, it hurts our economy and it undermines our responsibility of running government at a level that is productive for our people.”

If a deal is reached, the procedural path forward is uncertain. The House is expected to end its year Dec. 13, while the Senate is likely to stay in Washington until Dec. 20.

The two chambers might pass general budget guidelines this month, and then the appropriations committees would write more detailed legislation outlining how the money would be spent.

That would seem like a gargantuan task to finish in a month – since the House has passed only four of the 12 appropriations bills so far this year and the Senate has passed none.

Yet House Appropriations Committee Chairman Hal Rogers, R-Ky., was optimistic that it could be done by Jan. 15.

The mood has changed, he maintained. “I believe we can do a bill,” he said.

Kevin G. Hall contributed to this story.

Email: wdouglas@mcclatchydc.com, dlightman@mcclatchydc.com; Twitter: @williamgdouglas, @lightmandavid

Read more Politics Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
A portrait of North Korean leader Kim Jung Un posing with a North Korean gold medalist in Judo, An Kum Ae, decorates the walls of a local gymnasium, Tuesday, Sept. 2, 2014 in Pyongyang, North Korea. In just over a week, North Korea will send its top athletes to win gold for their leader in what could well be the biggest sporting event of their lives and a major propaganda campaign for their nation, the Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea.

    North Korea athletes on mission for political gold

    It's a hot, sunny morning at the newly refurbished Sosan Football Stadium in Pyongyang. Two women's soccer teams head to the sidelines of the artificial turf, leaving only a row of archers to continue their practice before several senior sports ministry officials. So sure are they of their aim — or, perhaps, so impromptu is the decision to have them shoot here — that there are no barriers behind the targets, posted on simple squares of straw.

  • 6 candidates in running for equestrian presidency

    Six candidates — all from Europe — are in the running to replace Princess Haya of Jordan as president of the International Equestrian Federation.

  •  
FILE - This Aug. 12, 2014 file photo shows a healthcare worker walking near a Ebola isolation unit wearing protective gear against the virus at Kenema Government Hospital in Kenema, Sierra Leone. Federal researchers next week will start testing humans with an experimental vaccine to prevent the deadly Ebola virus. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) announced Thursday that it is launching the safety trial on a vaccine developed by the agency’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and GlaxoSmithKline. They will test 20 healthy adult volunteers to see if the virus is safe and triggers an adequate response in their immune systems.

    Ivory Coast will allow Sierra Leone team in

    The Ivory Coast government decided late Monday to allow Sierra Leone's team to enter the country, giving the go-ahead for an African Cup qualifier after fears over Ebola put the game and Ivory Coast's place in the tournament in doubt.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category