• Impact player: Dolphins tight end Charles Clay had three catches for 29 yards, but also the offensive pass interference penalty that helped kill the Dolphins first drive.
• Highlights: The Dolphins held the ball for all but six snaps of the first quarter, grinding out yardage on the ground and on short quick routes. Meanwhile, the defense just let Jets quarterback Geno Smith be Geno Smith.
• Lowlights: All that possession amounted to nothing when Caleb Sturgis missed a 41-yard field goal on the first possession and Tannehill threw late and short to Brian Hartline up the sideline on the second possession.
• Impact player: Jets quarterback Geno Smith helped set up both Dolphins field goals. First, with a horrible third down incompletion from the New York 3, then with an interception.
• Highlights: Caleb Sturgis hit field goals of 34 and 43 yards after two drives inside the two-minute warning. Dannell Ellerbes interception preceded the second field goal. Ryan Tannehills 28-yard pass to Charles Clay got the Dolphins into position for the first field goal.
• Lowlights: The Dolphins failed on third and fourth down to get the ball into the end zone from the 1-yard line. Mike Wallace gave little effort to prevent Antonio Cromarties interception of a pop fly from Tannehill. And Sturgis second field goal attempt seemed a give-up by the Dolphins with 10 seconds left and time for an end zone shot.
• Impact player: Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill was nearly perfect in the quarter, hitting Brian Hartline and Mike Wallace with catch-and-run touchdown passes.
• Highlights: The Tannehill-to-Brian Hartline 31-yard touchdown defined the West Coast offenses ideal play. And the Tannehill-to-Mike Walace 28-yard touchdown defined the kind of miss-him-and-hes-gone big play the Dolphins want from Wallace. A fumble recovery by Philip Wheeler preceded the former.
• Lowlights: Given a chance to really KO the Jets, the defense got trampled by Chris Ivory on a drive to the Jets field goal. Didnt look good, but ultimately didnt matter.
• Impact player: In a quarter played just to make everything official, Brent Grimes end zone interception, keeping the score appropriate to the action, counts as impact.
• Highlights: Grimes interception. Caleb Sturgis added another field goal. The clock kept running.
• Lowlights: The Dolphins again couldnt finish a drive once inside the red zone, which is why Sturgis had to kick an 18-yard field goal. It was the second time in the game that the Dolphins got to the Jets 1-yard-line, but couldnt punch it in. Immaterial today, but that cant continue.