In a recent interview to promote his holiday TV movie “Christmas Bounty,” WWE superstar The Miz addressed bullying which is very topical with the Richie Incognito, Jonathan Martin, Miami Dolphins situation.
The Miz said: “This isn’t just in America. It’s all over the world. [Bullying is] a huge epidemic.”
The Miz, who’s been bullied, is proactive and often speaks at WWE Be a STAR rallies at schools. The Be a STAR (Show Tolerance And Respect) initiative is an anti-bullying alliance, co-founded by WWE and the Creative Coalition.
“We are going all over the world speaking to students about anti-bullying and trying to get rid of it,” The Miz said. “It all starts when you’re a kid, and hopefully we can nip it in the bud.
“I always tell kids, ‘Whenever someone tells you that you can’t do something, believe in yourself, believe in who you are, and you can do anything you put your mind to.’ So far we are getting positive reviews from our speeches with the Be a STAR campaign.”
A passionate Miz also asks students to write something positive each time they are patrolling Facebook, Twitter or any form of social media.
The Miz and other WWE superstars and divas join forces with TV and movie stars, government officials and singers in the Be a STAR initiative.
• For students who are being bullied or who would like to start their own Be a STAR chapter, WWE provides these resources.
For teachers who would like to take action against bullying, WWE offers a downloadable teachers guide here:
• YouTube Jim Varsallone (jimmyv3 channel)
Video of The Miz in Miami in 2012 for a WWE Be a STAR rally.
• Here is a link to a Miami Herald article in June with The Miz about Be a STAR.
• ABC Family’s original film “Christmas Bounty” stars The Miz. The movie, a WWE Studios production, is part of ABC Family’s annual Countdown to the 25 Days of Christmas.
“Christmas Bounty” premiers at 7 p.m. EST Tuesday, Nov. 26 on ABC Family.
• WWE Hall of Famer Mick Foley featured The Miz in his holiday children’s book “A Most Mizerable Christmas.” Miz felt honored the hardcore legend, former WWE champ and New York Time’s Best-Selling author chose him to be the foil. The book sends a positive message to kids which Miz professes.
• Twitter: @MikeTheMiz
• WrestleMania XXX is Sunday, April 6 at the Mercedes-Benz Super Dome in New Orleans. Tickets are now on sale.