• Impact player: Ryan Tannehill opened the game completing four passes resulting in first downs on an 11-play, 76-yard drive that ended with a 22-yard Caleb Sturgis field goal. Tannehill also found Rishard Matthews for a 29-yard gain to end the quarter.
• Highlights: Brent Grimes made his third interception of the season on an overthrown pass by Phillip Rivers that was intended for Vincent Brown. Tannehill escaped the pass rush a few times, rolling out and finding open receivers.
• Lowlights: Tannehill was intercepted by Johnny Patrick with 2:35 left in the quarter,which led to the Chargers go-ahead touchdown, a 5-yard pass from Rivers to Antonio Gates.
• I mpact player: Daniel Thomas picked up big chunks of yards on the drive that carried over from the first quarter, leading to his 1-yard touchdown. Thomas had three carries of at least eight yards each.
• Highlights: The Dolphins converted their lone red-zone opportunity running the ball well with Thomas scoring and Marcus Thigpen gaining nine yards on a sweep for a first down. The Dolphins also held the Chargers to a field goal after they advanced to the Miami 5.
• Lowlights: Brian Hartline fumbled after a catch on the 1-yard line. Luckily for him, the play was nullified by a roughing the passer penalty. The Dolphins also yielded two long pass plays to Chargers tight ends for first downs.
• Impact player: Dolphins tight end Charles Clay caught three passes on the Miami’s touchdown drive including the 39-yard scoring pass from Tannehill. Clay caught a short pass, made one defender miss and broke two tackles on his way to the end zone.
• Highlights: Aside from Clay’s scoring play, the Dolphins’ short passing game worked well. Tannehill also found Lamar Miller for a short pass that Miller turned into a 22-yard gain.
• Lowlights: Ryan Matthews found an opening and ran down the sideline for a 51-yard gain that put the Chargers in the red zone to end the quarter. Tannehill was sacked on a poor Dolphins possession that resulted in a punt.
• Impact player: Cameron Wake sacked Phillip Rivers on final drive and pressured him into hurried throws. Earlier in the quarter, Wake’s pressure helped Jared Odrick get a sack as well.
• Highlights: Olivier Vernon came up with a clutch sack that pushed the Chargers out of field goal range with less than five minutes remain —ing forcing a punt.
• Lowlights: Rivers evaded the rush and found Ladarius Green for a 35-yard completion. Ryan Tannehill’s throw to Brian Hartline to the far sideline in the final minutes was way off, stopping the clock on a drive in which the Dolphins were trying to run off as much time as possible. Tannehill also ran out of bounds on the next play before the two-minute warning.