• GLOBAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP WEEK EVENTS:
MIAMI DADE COLLEGE: The Carrie P. Meek Entrepreneurial Education Center on Miami Dade College’s North Campus is hosting the National Association of Community College Entrepreneurship (NACCE) Summit Series Conference on Monday, Nov. 18. for a daylong event titled “Growing the Entrepreneurial Ecosystem.” Speakers include Gary Schoeniger, co-author of “Who Owns the Ice House?” To register, visit http://www.nacce.com/events/
FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY: FIU Pino Global Entrepreneurship Center will host a “Women Entrepreneurs Panel: Secrets to their Business Success” on Tuesday, November 19th at 6 p.m. in the Special Events Room of the College of Business on the main campus. Panelists include: Misha Kuryla-Gomez of Misha Cupcakes; Lourdes Balepogi of Chispa Marketing; Felecia Hatcher of Feverish Pops; Johanna Salazer, social entrepreneur; and Monique Hamaty-Simmonds of Tortuga Rum Cakes. Info: entrepreneurship.fiu.edu
UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI: The University of Miami Launch Pad has planned a number of events, including:
“Keeping it in the Family,” a panel discussion on family businesses and preparing for the next generation to take the reins, Tuesday, Nov. 19, 6-9 p.m.
2013 Elevator Pitch Competition finals, Wednesday, Nov. 20, 6:30-9 p.m.
“Women in Growth Investing and High Growth Entrepreneurship,” a panel discussion featuring Adrianna Ma of General Atlantic, Lisa Skeete Tatum, formerly of Cardinal Partners, Stephanie Tilenius of Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and Melissa Krinzman of Venture Architects, Thursday, Nov. 21, 4:30-6 p.m.
“Bridging the Gap Between Engineers and Entrepreneurs: A Discussion” with John Ciancutti, director of Engineering at Facebook, Thursday, Nov. 21, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
“Innovation In Content Creation for Global Media,” a workshop presented by Marlon Quintero, CIC Media, Friday, Nov. 22, 9 a.m.-noon.
For more information on all of Launch Pad’s events, including locations, go to www.thelaunchpad.org/GEW
Other events this week:
• CIVIC HACKING: Code for Miami invites developers, designers, data geeks and idea makers to its weekly meetups from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Mondays, Nov. 18, at The LAB Miami in Wynwood. More info: http://www.meetup.com/Code-for-Miami/
• HEALTH TALK: SCORE Miami-Dade presents a workshop titled Affordable Care Act: What Does It Mean to Me? on Wednesday, Nov 20, 6 p.m.-8p.m., Small Business Association offices, 100 Biscayne Blvd., 7th floor, in Miami. $30 in advance. More info: miamidade.score.org.
• SOCIAL INNOVATION: Momentum International brings a panel discussion on social innovation to The LAB Miami in Wynwood on Wednesday, Nov. 20, 7 p.m.-10 p.m. Speakers: Juan Casimiro of Casimiro Global Foundation, Brett Hudson of The LAB Miami, Carolina Rendeiro of Miami Innovation Center, and Michelle Dow of Social Swag Co. More info: www.thelabmiami.com
• FUNDED? NOW WHAT? The MIT Enterprise Forum presents a panel discussion on “Deconstructing the Term Sheet” on Thursday, Nov. 21, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., at Venture Hive in Miami. Speakers: W. Jeffrey Brown of Honey Tree Holdings, Richard Grundy of Flomio, Kevin Levy of Gunster and Howard Gitten of Edwards Wildman. More info: http://mitforumfl.org/
• POKER FOR A GOOD CAUSE: Monies raised during IT Women’s CIO Celebrity Poker Tournament & Casino Night Scholarship Fundraiser at the Sheraton Airport and Cruise Port Hotel in Fort Lauderdale on Thursday, Nov. 21, 5:30 p.m., will benefit young women pursuing engineering and IT degrees. Info: http://tinyurl.com/neuy64a
• GEEKS NIGHT OUT: Makers spread out their projects at Caffeine Spaces in Boca Raton, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, Nov. 18. Info: caffeinespaces.com
Rapper Pitbull has a message for Miami’s tech community: “Count me in.” He stopped in and conveyed his support for the eMerge Americas conference in a way only Mr. 305 can. See the report on Starting Gate blog on MiamiHerald.com/business.
Startup Quest, a program that matched unemployed college educated professionals with tech mentors to form companies, wrapped up last week. Starting Gate has a full report, including who won the program’s Shark Tank-like competition.
Find more news, including a report on the Maker Faire, and community views on Starting Gate blog, MiamiHerald.com/business.
Nancy Dahlberg @ndahlberg