The United Way and the Miami Herald have activated Operation Helping Hands for victims of Typhoon Haiyan. To contribute, visit www.unitedwaymiami.org or send a check to Operation Helping Hands, c/o United Way of Miami-Dade, P.O. Box 459007, Miami, FL 33245-9007. One-hundred percent of the funds will go to typhoon victims and be distributed by organizations in the affected areas.
Here is a list of organizations sending help to victims:
• The Greater Miami Jewish Federation has an emergency relief fund; 100 percent of all contributions are allocated directly to the relief effort to provide humanitarian aid. Visit https://jewishmiami.org/gift/typhoonhaiyan. Checks may also be mailed with notations for Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fund to the Greater Miami Jewish Federation, 4200 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, FL 33137.
• A collection to raise money for relief will be at the Archdiocese of Miamis 108 parishes. Checks marked Relief efforts may be sent to the Archdiocese of Miami, 9401 Biscayne Blvd., Miami Shores, FL 33138.
• Financial contributions to the American Red Cross can be earmarked for typhoon relief. Visit www.redcross.org or call 800-HELP-NOW.
• UNICEF will deliver supplies to children and their families. Donations can be made online at www.unicefusa.org/ or by texting RELIEF to 864233 to donate $10.
CARE plans to provide emergency relief to thousands of families. Donations can be made online at http://www.care.org/emergencies/typhoon-haiyan or by calling 800-521-CARE within the U.S.
• Donations to World Vision are accepted at http://www.worldvision.org/news-stories-videos/typhoon-haiyan-philippines.