Dolphins | Rishard Matthews

Rishard Matthews sparks Miami Dolphins offense

 

Rishard Matthews emerged for quarterback Ryan Tannehill and the Dolphins offense — one of the few highlights for Miami in Monday’s loss.

 
Dolphins wide receiver Rishard Matthews gets around  Buccaneers free safety Dashon Goldson for a touchdown in the third quarter of the game between the Miami Dolphins and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium on Nov. 11, 2013.
Dolphins wide receiver Rishard Matthews gets around Buccaneers free safety Dashon Goldson for a touchdown in the third quarter of the game between the Miami Dolphins and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium on Nov. 11, 2013.
Joe Rimkus Jr. / Staff Photo

Special to the Miami Herald

On an evening rife with subplots, Rishard Matthews delivered a dose of sublime.

Nestled amid the sound bites of Dolphins owner Stephen Ross on his team’s internal problems and the tears of new Bucs Ring of Honor inductee Warren Sapp, Matthews segued from Miami’s No. 3 receiver to Ryan Tannehill’s No. 1 target when attention actually shifted to Monday night’s contest.

Counterbalancing an invisible Dolphins run game, the second-year slot receiver from Nevada posted career highs in the first half in catches (eight), yards (77) and touchdowns (two).

His second half wasn’t shabby either.

For the game, Matthews finished with 11 receptions for 120 yards and two touchdowns.

“He played well,” Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said. “He was very productive. We’ve said many times, he’s a competitive guy. He likes to practice, he likes to go out there, and he played well.”

Thrust into duty when Brandon Gibson tore his patella tendon at New England on Oct. 27, the Dolphins’ seventh-round draft pick in 2012 had made mere cameos in Miami’s two prior games.

On Monday, he jump-started an offense that, for its first four possessions, had been as grim as Ross’ 73-year-old visage during his pregame news conference.

“I’ve been practicing a lot, and in our offense, the [slot] a big part of the offense as well,” said Matthews, targeted 14 times. “With Brandon going down, I needed to step up. Me and Ryan have been together two years, so I don’t think he had a problem targeting me.”

The Tannehill-Matthews tandem was just getting warmed up. On first down at the Bucs’ 28, Tannehill found him on the left side for 4 yards, then again in the same vicinity for 11 yards on second down.

Two plays later, Matthews was quarantined over the middle when Tannehill found him from 6 yards for the receiver’s inaugural NFL touchdown. Matthews’ totals on the drive: six catches, 51 yards, one TD.

It cut Miami’s deficit to 15-7.

“It was a check [on the TD pass],” Matthews said. “We knew what the guys were doing. Ryan checked the play, and Brian [Hartline] had a good block on the outside. He sealed the guy, and I was able to run in.”

If nothing else on a bleak west Tampa evening, Matthews asserted himself as a reliable set of hands for a team that suddenly could use all it can muster.

A 24-year-old native Southern Californian, Matthews totaled 2,243 receiving yards and 13 TDs in two seasons at Nevada. With Mike Wallace growing less visible by the week, his Monday night breakout couldn’t have been more timely.

This morning, Ross’ club still has significant issues in the clubhouse.

For at least the time being, it has none in the slot.

Read more Miami Dolphins stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin in the fourth quarter against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013.

    IN MY OPINION

    Armando Salguero: Joe Philbin optimistic about Miami Dolphins despite skeptics

    Joe Philbin welcomes a visitor with a warm smile and firm handshake and for the next 30 minutes enthusiastically talks about his Dolphins with a confidence that belies the coach’s first two seasons in Miami.

  •  
St. Louis Rams seventh-round draft pick Michael Sam listens to a question during a news conference at the NFL football team's practice facility Tuesday, May 13, 2014, in St. Louis. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

    IN MY OPINION

    Greg Cote: Michael Sam is a distraction to embrace, not avoid

    It’s no surprise that Tony Dungy’s comments this week about Michael Sam — comments that on the surface seemed more benign than inflammatory — have created such a national tempest. Sports are a Petri dish for argument and debate under any circumstances, and when you add the politics of religion and gay issues to the mix, the chances of a quietly civil discussion have pretty much left the building.

  •  
<span class="cutline_leadin">building block:</span> Left tackle Branden Albert, above, 

will be the team’s replacement for Jonathan Martin.

    Miami Dolphins’ offensive line is new; time will tell if it’s improved

    The Dolphins’ offensive line, which allowed 58 sacks last season, will have four new starters – and center Mike Pouncey could be out until October. ‘We’ve got a lot of work,’ new left tackle Branden Albert said.

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category