Dolphins | Running game

Miami Dolphins rushing attack struggles mightily in loss

 

Miami’s offensive line — without Jonathan Martin and Richie Incognito — could not help the Dolphins move the ball on the ground.

Special to the Miami Herald

With the Dolphins pinned at their own 2 early in the second quarter, their offense started a disastrous two-play sequence that summed up their rushing attack Monday night against Tampa Bay.

Charles Clay rushed up the middle, and Pro Bowl defensive tackle Gerald McCoy stuffed him for a 1-yard loss. Then Lavonte David flew unblocked through Miami’s offensive line and flattened Daniel Thomas for a safety.

The Dolphins rushing attack improved from there, but not by much.

With linemen Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin out and on opposite ends of the locker room scandal, the Dolphins ground game struggled to gain anything against a middle-of-the-pack rushing defense.

Only two Lamar Miller runs — a 4-yarder and a 1-yarder late in the first quarter — went for positive yards in the first half. Miami finished with zero rushing yards in the first two quarters and completed the game with only 2 yards on 14 attempts.

“It means we’ve got to get better,” Miller said.

Monday night was a return to Miami’s early season struggles, reminiscent of the Dolphins’ 20-yard output in a season-opening win at Cleveland and a 22-yard performance in a loss to Baltimore.

Miami had seemingly improved since then and had just had its best two rushing games of the year: The Dolphins ran for a season-high 157 yards against Cincinnati in their last game and 156 the game before against New England.

Miller had been at the center of it. His 4.8-yard average entering the night was third-best in the league. The former Hurricane was coming off of a career-high 105-yard game against the Bengals and had averaged 5.5 yards per carry in his past three games.

But only four of his first seven carries gained yards against Tampa Bay.

Midway through the fourth quarter, Miller had gained only 2 yards — yet was still tied for the team lead with quarterback Ryan Tannehill.

Thomas lost 2 yards on his four attempts, and Clay’s two carries totaled zero yards.

“They just did a good job of game planning and stopping the run,” Miller said of the Buccaneers.

Of Miami’s first 14 runs, seven failed to gain positive yardage, and none went for more than 4 yards. That inability to gain position early forced the Dolphins into nine instances of third-and-8 or longer and forcing them to rely on Tannehill’s arm and a breakout game by receiver Rishard Matthews to stay competitive against the reeling Buccaneers.

The Dolphins’ offensive success came only after they almost entirely abandoned the run. They ran the ball once on a nine-play, 90-yard touchdown drive that cut the deficit to 15-7 late in the second quarter. The lone rush: a 2-yard loss by Miller.

Miami’s ground game was equally sluggish on its next scoring drive. Thomas’ 1-yard rush set up third-and-long, so the Dolphins had to settle for a 40-yard Caleb Sturgis’ field goal.

The Dolphins’ biggest run of the game came midway through the fourth quarter. On third-and-1 from its own 29, Miami’s line surged forward, and Tannehill plowed for 2 yards and the first down.

The success was short-lived: Miller lost 3 yards on the next play. Moments later, Miami failed to convert on third-and-long and punted the ball away.

Read more Miami Dolphins stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin in the fourth quarter against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013.

    IN MY OPINION

    Armando Salguero: Joe Philbin optimistic about Miami Dolphins despite skeptics

    Joe Philbin welcomes a visitor with a warm smile and firm handshake and for the next 30 minutes enthusiastically talks about his Dolphins with a confidence that belies the coach’s first two seasons in Miami.

  •  
St. Louis Rams seventh-round draft pick Michael Sam listens to a question during a news conference at the NFL football team's practice facility Tuesday, May 13, 2014, in St. Louis. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

    IN MY OPINION

    Greg Cote: Michael Sam is a distraction to embrace, not avoid

    It’s no surprise that Tony Dungy’s comments this week about Michael Sam — comments that on the surface seemed more benign than inflammatory — have created such a national tempest. Sports are a Petri dish for argument and debate under any circumstances, and when you add the politics of religion and gay issues to the mix, the chances of a quietly civil discussion have pretty much left the building.

  •  
<span class="cutline_leadin">building block:</span> Left tackle Branden Albert, above, 

will be the team’s replacement for Jonathan Martin.

    Miami Dolphins’ offensive line is new; time will tell if it’s improved

    The Dolphins’ offensive line, which allowed 58 sacks last season, will have four new starters – and center Mike Pouncey could be out until October. ‘We’ve got a lot of work,’ new left tackle Branden Albert said.

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category