Miami Dolphins

Report: Jonathan Martin likely won’t return to Miami Dolphins this season

 
WEB VOTE What was your impression of Richie Incognito's interview with Fox Sports?

ABEASLEY@MIAMIHERALD.COM

Jonathan Martin likely will not return to the Dolphins this season, ESPN reported Monday.

Martin wants to play football again, but believes he can’t do it in Miami, a source told ESPN’s Lisa Salters, the network reported.

If true, the move should come as little surprise. Through his agent, Martin has alleged he suffered emotional and physical abuse at the hands of his teammates.

He has been away from the team for two weeks, undergoing treatment for emotional issues.

Since Martin has been gone, several of his teammates — including members of the Dolphins offensive line — have publicly questioned his actions and have expressed strong support for Richie Incognito.

When asked last week whether Martin has abandoned the team, Bryant McKinnie told the Miami Herald: “In a sense, he did when he decided to leave.

“That’s what he chose to do,” McKinnie added. “That put us in a situation where we had to move things around, and now it’s affected us again, because Richie’s been suspended. So we’ve lost two starters.”

Tyson Clabo started at right tackle Monday night in Martin’s place for the second consecutive week. Nate Garner filled in for Incognito. Guard Danny Watkins was active for the first time this season.

Injury report

The Dolphins were without the services of two other starters Monday night: Koa Misi and Dimitri Patterson.

The absence of Patterson, who has dealt with a groin issue all season, was not a shock. He was listed as doubtful on Friday.

Misi, meanwhile, was a bit of a surprise. He was limited the past week with a knee issue but was considered 50-50 to play.

Nolan Carroll started for Patterson, and Jason Trusnik filled in for Misi.

Pat Devlin Mike Gillislee Dallas Thomas David Arkin

This and that

• The Dolphins promoted safety D.J. Campbell from the practice squad and made him active for the game. Campbell made a touchdown-saving tackle on a punt return in the first half. Miami waived Jordan Kovacs to make room.

• Receiver Marlon Moore also was active Monday, just days after rejoining the team.

• Hall of Fame defensive tackle and former UM Warren Sapp was inducted into the Buccaneers Ring of Honor at halftime Monday night.

Adam H. Beasley

Read more Miami Dolphins stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin in the fourth quarter against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013.

    IN MY OPINION

    Armando Salguero: Joe Philbin optimistic about Miami Dolphins despite skeptics

    Joe Philbin welcomes a visitor with a warm smile and firm handshake and for the next 30 minutes enthusiastically talks about his Dolphins with a confidence that belies the coach’s first two seasons in Miami.

  •  
St. Louis Rams seventh-round draft pick Michael Sam listens to a question during a news conference at the NFL football team's practice facility Tuesday, May 13, 2014, in St. Louis. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

    IN MY OPINION

    Greg Cote: Michael Sam is a distraction to embrace, not avoid

    It’s no surprise that Tony Dungy’s comments this week about Michael Sam — comments that on the surface seemed more benign than inflammatory — have created such a national tempest. Sports are a Petri dish for argument and debate under any circumstances, and when you add the politics of religion and gay issues to the mix, the chances of a quietly civil discussion have pretty much left the building.

  •  
<span class="cutline_leadin">building block:</span> Left tackle Branden Albert, above, 

will be the team’s replacement for Jonathan Martin.

    Miami Dolphins’ offensive line is new; time will tell if it’s improved

    The Dolphins’ offensive line, which allowed 58 sacks last season, will have four new starters – and center Mike Pouncey could be out until October. ‘We’ve got a lot of work,’ new left tackle Branden Albert said.

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category