The Miami Springs Woman’s Club recently unveiled their new look to the Miami Springs Community at a special renovation celebration. Approximately 75 guests came to the Clubhouse on Westward Drive to check out the new look.
“This task has taken almost two years to complete,” said Nancy Voye, Miami Springs Woman’s Club president. “It couldn’t have happened without the help of many hands and generous hearts, and the members of the Miami Springs Woman’s Club will be eternally grateful to our donors for their generosity — as we strive to do our best to preserve our Clubhouse for future generations.”
The building at 200 Westward Drive has been home to the Miami Springs Woman’s Club since it was built in 1949. The building was designated a Miami Springs Historic Site in 2006.
The renovations bring the facility up to date and beyond, with beautiful kitchen cabinets and counter tops, gorgeous restrooms, ceilings and walls, all while preserving the historic structure. The historic internal dividing doors remain. An internal entrance to the club’s Medical Loan Closet is another new feature that was added to the facility. This allows member easy access from inside the building. The club’s loan closet is a much-needed and much-used service that provides medical equipment to the community, free of charge.
The renovation and construction were done by Miami Springs resident and business owner Hamid Djahanshani. As guests at the celebration browsed the facility, Djahanshani, simply known to the club members as Hamid, was a bit of a celebrity in the room. One after another, guests shook his hand, and thanked him for a job well done as to say, “I love what you’ve done with the place.”
Guests were treated to live music and enjoyed wine and cheese, appetizers and desserts, all served by a delightful team of servants, led by club member Elizabeth Kourtesis and her family.
A presentation by Voye was made to thank the many people who contributed in a variety of ways. “A special thanks goes out to a few major contributors to the renovation project, Tom Curtis, Hazel Riser, Lynda Randolph and The Villagers,” said Voye.
The Miami Springs Woman’s Club has had a significant charitable, educational and social presence in the community since it was founded in 1939. One of the organization’s early projects was to start the town’s first public library. The books were donated by residents who attended a “Library Tea” at the Miami Battle Creek Sanatarium, which in now Fair Havens.
Mrs. Lena Pearl Curtiss Wheeler, a founding member, donated the two double lots on Westward Drive for the building in memory of her mother, Mrs. Jennie Potter Neff, and her late husband’s mother, Mrs. Lua Andrews Curtiss Adams. At that time the property was appraised at $20,000. During the 1940s the money to build the structure was raised by its membership through many fundraising efforts.
To this day the Woman’s Club continues to be a strong nonprofit charitable and education organization of Miami Springs. The Woman’s Club hosts, participates in, or sponsors many charitable and civic functions, including the American Cancer Society Relay for Life, and the “Meet the Candidates” forum during election season, to mention a few.