Dolphins notebook

Miami Dolphins’ Nolan Carroll, Dimitri Patterson should play Monday

 
 
Miami Dolphins cornerback Nolan Carroll (28) eyes the ball during practice before  an NFL football game against the Baltimore Ravens, Sunday, Oct. 6, 2013, in Miami Gardens, Fla.
Miami Dolphins cornerback Nolan Carroll (28) eyes the ball during practice before an NFL football game against the Baltimore Ravens, Sunday, Oct. 6, 2013, in Miami Gardens, Fla.
J Pat Carter / AP
WEB VOTE Who do you have the least sympathy for in the Miami Dolphins’ bullying scandal?

mkelley@MiamiHerald.com

With the Dolphins playing Monday night, the team wasn’t required to release an official injury report until Thursday.

When it finally was released, however, the report revealed promising news for the team’s banged-up group of cornerbacks.

Nolan Carroll (concussion) and Dimitri Patterson (groin) left last week’s game against Cincinnati, leaving inexperienced R.J. Stanford to play opposite Brent Grimes down the stretch.

Carroll was cleared to practice Wednesday and was a full participant in Thursday’s practice, indicating he’s likely to play Monday.

“It felt good,” Carroll said of practice. “Having a Thursday night game [last week] and then having the four days off that I had, I feel good right now. I don’t have any problems right now. I’m just ready to go.”

The situation is a bit cloudier for Patterson, who missed four games because of a groin injury sustained in the season opener.

The veteran has played in just four games this year, and injuries have shut him down early in two of them. Despite the limited time on the field — just 210 snaps, compared to Grimes’ 598 — Patterson leads the team in interceptions. He recorded his fourth of the season before reaggravating the groin injury that sidelined him early in the season.

“I’m on track [to play Monday]. I’m on pace,” Patterson said. “I did some things [Thursday] and just continue to take it day by day, but I’m on pace.”

The injury report was less encouraging for the team’s linebackers, with Koa Misi (knee) and Jelani Jenkins (foot) not participating in Thursday’s practice.

Because tackle Jonathan Martin is still on the team’s 53-man roster, the Dolphins are required to continue listing him on injury reports. Thursday’s initial report listed Martin as “did not practice — illness,” but the team quickly updated his status, officially ruling him out for Monday’s game.

Speaking out

After being instructed Monday to stay quiet about the ongoing saga involving Richie Incognito and Martin, players had the gag order lifted Wednesday, leading to several Dolphins emphatically voicing opinions on the controversy and the ensuing media coverage.

A day later, coach Joe Philbin supported the players’ decision to freely voice their opinions.

“Those are their comments, and they should stand on their own,” Philbin said to Thursday’s swarm of reporters. “Everybody is accountable — one of the things we talked about [Wednesday] in our program.”

Philbin said that they had addressed the players in team meetings before they met with the media.

“We talked about honesty; we talked about respect,” Philbin said. “We talked about accountability — if you’re going to put your name on something, those guys are accountable.”

The locker room was close to normal Thursday. With players having already vented about the bullying allegations, they seemed more eager to address Monday’s game against the Bucs.

Philbin’s blackout

Throughout the chaotic week, Philbin has maintained that he hasn’t read the reports from local or national media. As if a sprinting herd of national reporters jockeying for position before Philbin took the podium isn’t evidence enough of the breadth of this story, Philbin provided his own illustration Thursday.

“Unfortunately, I called my 92-year-old father [Wednesday], and he was on the computer,” Philbin said. “So I had to tell him to get off the computer.”

Read more Miami Dolphins stories from the Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category