Business

Blockbuster to shut remaining stores in U.S.

 
 
A Blockbuster video store is seen on November 6, 2013 in Miami. Blockbuster announced today that it will close its 300 remaining U.S. stores by early January.
A Blockbuster video store is seen on November 6, 2013 in Miami. Blockbuster announced today that it will close its 300 remaining U.S. stores by early January.
Joe Raedle / Getty Images

Bloomberg News

Blockbuster LLC, the video-rental company now owned by Dish Network Corp., will close its remaining 300 U.S. stores. It ends an era for the chain that Fort Lauderdale billionaire H. Wayne Huizenga had founded, which had become a ubiquitous part of American shopping centers.

Blockbuster will shut the outlets by early January and also discontinue its DVD-by-mail service by the middle of next month, Englewood, Colo.-based Dish said Wednesday in a statement. The company will keep the licensing rights to the Blockbuster brand and use it with Dish services. It also has a video-streaming product called Blockbuster On Demand.

Blockbuster’s website lists five remaining South Florida locations: 1500 Alton Road, Miami Beach; 9007 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami Shores; 2601 SW 147th Ave, Miami; 20595 Cutler Road, Cutler Bay; and 6501 Nova Drive, Davie.

“People were waiting for the death knell for that business for many years,” said Matthew Harrigan, an analyst at Wunderlich Securities Inc. “With everything happening on the digital distribution side, it has been long overdue.”

Dish, which acquired the chain out of bankruptcy in April 2011, had already divested Blockbuster’s international assets, including operations in the U.K. and Scandinavia. The company has been gradually shutting down the 1,700 stores it acquired.

“This is not an easy decision, yet consumer demand is clearly moving to digital distribution of video entertainment,” Dish Chief Executive Officer Joseph Clayton said in today’s statement. “We continue to see value in the Blockbuster brand, and we expect to leverage that brand as we continue to expand our digital offerings.”

Blockbuster was once so dominant in the home-video market that it was sued by independent video retailers, which claimed in 2001 that the company’s revenue-sharing agreements with movie studios hurt competition. The lawsuit was later dismissed.

Blockbuster Video, which had been based in Fort Lauderdale, was begun by Huizenga with a handful of stores in 1987. It had become the country’s leading movie rental chain by 1994, when it was sold to Viacom in an $8.4 billion stock-swap merger with the company.

When the company was spun off by Viacom Inc. in 2004, it operated about 9,000 locations — before streaming video services such as Netflix Inc. devastated the industry. Blockbuster filed for bankruptcy protection in September 2010.

Dish took over Blockbuster the following year, aiming to use the stores to sell mobile devices that could stream Blockbuster movies. The plans broke down when U.S. regulators didn’t immediately approve a waiver allowing Dish to use its satellite spectrum for terrestrial data and voice transmission.

The Blockbuster brand will continue at Dish through the Blockbuster @Home and Blockbuster on Demand options, which stream movies and videos to televisions, computers and other devices, Dish said.

Dish shares fell 0.4 percent to $48.84 in New York on Wednesday. The stock had risen 34 percent this year through Tuesday.

While the demise of the Blockbuster chain is symbolic for the industry, it won’t have a big impact on Dish’s prospects, Harrigan said: “It’s certainly an end-of-an-era type thing, but in terms of that affecting Dish’s stock, it doesn’t have any particular importance.”

Miami Herald staff writer Doug Hanks and Herald wires also contributed to this report.

Read more Business stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Jacinto Garrido’s mother died in 2010. Garrido filed a complaint against her doctor.

    Healthcare

    State seeks harsher penalty against Miami physician

    Department of Health officials intend to appeal a final order by the state Board of Medicine, which in June voted to revoke a Miami physician’s license — then minutes later reversed its ruling and reduced the penalty.

  •  
Aeromexico will add a fourth weekly flight between Miami and Merida starting Nov. 8

    Aeromexico adds fourth weekly Miami-Merida flight

    Aeromexico announced this week that it will add a fourth weekly flight between Miami and Merida, the capital of the state of Yucatan, this fall.

  • Memorial Regional Hospital’s heart program accredited

    Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood recently earned certification from The Joint Commission, the nation’s largest healthcare accrediting group, for a cardiac therapy program designed to treat patients with end-stage heart failure who are not eligible for a transplant — making Memorial the first hospital in Broward County to receive the designation.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category