Jock Doc

Jumper’s knee an overuse injury

Q. I have been told that I have a jumper’s knee by my primary care doctor. He told me to rest from playing basketball, which helped until I went back to play.

It bothers me when I play and even worse when I finish playing. I have heard the pro players get tendonitis and I wondered if this is the same thing. What I should do to get rid of it?

Injuries to the knee in basketball are common and are divided into two main categories. Acute injuries that frequently cannot be prevented are injuries to the ligaments such as the ACL or MCL, or meniscal cartilage tears.

Many of the acute injuries require surgery to fix them and allow the athlete to return to their previous level of competition.

However, the more common injuries we see in basketball are overuse injuries. These are typically called “tendonitis” or “jumper’s knee.”

There are four large quadriceps muscles that converge to form the quadriceps tendon, which attaches to the kneecap “patella” and the patellar tendon. They, in turn, attach to the lower part of the kneecap and extend to the upper bone known as the tibia.

When playing sports the quad tendon and patellar tendon take up to five to seven times the body weight while running and jumping. Repetitive stresses can lead to inflammation of the tendon where it attaches to the bone. This form of tendinosis is known as jumper’s knee. Frequently this is seen in athletes who do not warm up and stretch properly or perform improper strength training in the gym.

These injuries can usually be treated with anti-inflammatory medication and a physical therapy and rehabilitation program aimed at improving flexibility as well as pain-free strengthening of the quadriceps muscles. Knee sleeves and patellar straps can help decrease the symptomatology while playing but not affect the actual healing of the tendonitis.

In a rare circumstance the degeneration of the tendon can go on long enough that it can lead to partial tearing of the tendon and may require high-energy shockwave treatments known as the OssaTron, PRP injections, or surgical repair.

I recommend you see an orthopedic surgeon for evaluation and treatment so you can continue to play basketball and running and jumping sports and still get your injury healed.

Dr. Harlan Selesnick is team physician of the Miami Heat and director of Miami Sports Medicine Fellowship, Doctors Hospital. Send your questions to

Read more Health stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category