MIAMI DOLPHINS

Miami Dolphins’ Richie Incognito: I’m trying to ‘weather the storm’

 
 
Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito looks on during a game against the host Houston Texans on Sept. 9, 2012.
Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito looks on during a game against the host Houston Texans on Sept. 9, 2012.
Joe Rimkus Jr. / STAFF PHOTO
WEB VOTE How will the Dolphins perform on the field following the bullying scandal involving Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin?

abeasley@miamiherald.com

Richie Incognito, the man in the midst of a national firestorm over alleged bullying and abuse of a teammate, broke his silence Tuesday, telling WSVN Channel 7: “I’m just trying to weather the storm right now. This will pass.”

When asked about the leaked voicemails, in which he reportedly called teammate Jonathan Martin by a racial slur, Incognito gave no comment.

Incognito was suspended late Sunday, although the Dolphins will not say if it is with or without pay. The Miami Herald learned Monday that Incognito will never play for the Dolphins again. He is on the suspended/reserve list.

On Tuesday, they filled his spot on the roster by signing guard David Arkin, who was previously on the Dallas Cowboys’ practice squad.

Despite expectations that he would be placed on the non-football injury list, Martin remained on the active roster Tuesday – meaning he will collect his $35,733 weekly paycheck this week, as usual.

Meanwhile, the NFL Players Association on Tuesday weighed into the mess, releasing a statement that demonstrates the fine line it must walk, seeing as the union represents both players involved.

“We expect that the NFL and its clubs create a safe and professional workplace for all players and that owners, executives, coaches and players should set the best standards and examples,” the NFLPA said in a statement on its website. “It is the duty of this union to hold the clubs and teams accountable for safety and professionalism in the workplace.

“As the representative organization of all players, the NFLPA will insist on a fair investigation for all involved,” the statement continued. “We will continue to remain in contact with the impacted players, their representatives and player leadership.”

The story has grown so large that even White House spokesman Jay Carney was asked about it at his daily briefing. President Obama has made bullying prevention a point of emphasis.

“I’m confident [Obama is] aware of it, but I just don’t have a response from the president on it,” Carney said.

Miami Herald reporter Marc Caputo contributed to this report.

Read more Miami Dolphins stories from the Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category