Embattled Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said Monday he will fully cooperate with the NFLs inquiry into the hazing allegations by team member Jonathan Martin, and indicated that he would accept its findings.
Even if it costs him his job, which is a possibility.
Meanwhile, Richie Incognito the veteran offensive lineman accused by Martin of extreme mental abuse has already lost his job. He will never again play for the Dolphins, a source told The Miami Herald.
On a day when the Dolphins were the talk of pro football, both Martin and Incognito were away from the team but for very different reasons.
Martin is with his family in California, where he is likely to spend the coming weeks undergoing therapy for emotional issues.
Incognito, meanwhile, served the first day of an indefinite suspension that will ultimately end with his removal from the franchise. The team hastily suspended Incognito late Sunday after Martin turned in a series of harassing texts and voice mails, many of which were made public Monday.
Fox Sports and CBSSports.com both reported Monday that Incognito sent Martin a series of racially charged and threatening messages, including one in which Incognito called Martin, who is biracial, a half-n-----. In CBSSports.coms report, Incognito is said to have threatened to track down Martins family.
Diatribe on video
Late in the day, TMZ.com posted a video clip of a shirtless Incognito screaming the N-word during a barroom diatribe, with teammate Mike Pouncey, who is black, laughing to the side.
Also Monday, word emerged of a series of inflammatory message-board posts on a fan forum by a person believed to be Incognitos father, Richard. The elder Incognito made some incendiary comments about the Dolphins leadership and portrayed Martin as unstable.
Efforts to reach both Richie and Richard Incognito for comment were unsuccessful.
However, the younger Incognito can expect to hear from the NFL soon.
The leagues independent investigation into the Dolphins will be led by Adolpho Birch, the NFLs senior vice president of labor policy. Birch oversees the administration of the leagues personal-conduct policy.
We have been in contact with the team on this matter since last week and will conduct a thorough review, the league said.
After practice, Philbin gave a detailed timeline of the events that led to the inquiry and Mondays press briefing, which was attended by about 100 local, national and international reporters.
Philbin said he was first made aware of a situation after Martin left the team following a prank gone wrong on Oct. 28.
He said he was in touch with both Martin and his parents throughout the following week, but in all my discussions with Jonathan and his family, at no time were there any accusations or allegations of misconduct by any members of this team or this organization.
It appears that the news media were ahead of the team on the issue. News first broke Thursday night that Martin may have been the victim of bullying.
And so, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross over the weekend called NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and asked for help in the form of an independent inquiry.
Our owner Steve Ross, who had been involved throughout the entire process, contacted the commissioner, Roger Goodell, and requested the NFL become involved and conduct a review of the workplace, Philbin said.