WASHINGTON

Obama meets with Guantánamo closure envoys

 
 
President Barack Obama met Clifford Sloan and Paul Lewis, the special envoys for Guantanamo closure at the State Department and Department of Defense, respectively, during an Oval Office drop by, Nov. 4, 2013. The White House released the photo with a statement that the president "remains fully committed to closing the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay,  and made clear that the Special Envoys have his full support as they work to facilitate the transfer of Guantanamo detainees."
President Barack Obama met Clifford Sloan and Paul Lewis, the special envoys for Guantanamo closure at the State Department and Department of Defense, respectively, during an Oval Office drop by, Nov. 4, 2013. The White House released the photo with a statement that the president "remains fully committed to closing the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, and made clear that the Special Envoys have his full support as they work to facilitate the transfer of Guantanamo detainees."
PETE SOUZA / WHITE HOUSE PHOTOGRAPHER


crosenberg@miamiherald.com

Six months after he ordered creation of the special positions, President Barack Obama on Monday met with his two “special envoys for Guantánamo closure” at the White House, which issued a statement calling the prison camps costly both financially and in U.S. standing overseas.

Clifford Sloan, the State Department’s special envoy has been on the job since July 1. But Paul Lewis, his Pentagon counterpart, started work Friday. A photo issued after the meeting showed both side by side at the Oval Office, with Sloan talking to Obama.

“The Guantánamo facility continues to drain our resources and harm our standing in the world,” White House spokesman Jay Carney said in a statement.

During the meeting, he said, Obama “thanked the two special envoys for their important work,” and made clear “he remains fully committed to closing the detention facility at Guantánamo Bay.”

As of Monday, the Pentagon held 164 prisoners at Guantánamo — just three convicted of war crimes and six awaiting death penalty trials by military tribunal. A largely rotational combined military and civilian workforce of 2,100 troops and contractors run the detention center compound.

A total of 84 of the captives have been approved for transfer to their home countries or resettlement elsewhere, and the White House said that Obama “made clear that the special envoys have his full support as they work to facilitate the transfer of Guantánamo detainees.”

Congress has used purse-string legislation to so far thwart Obama’s closure ambitions by blocking the use of federal funds for civilian trials of some prisoners and transfers to U.S. lockups or other nations. Congress also legislated Defense Department reporting restrictions prior to transfer that administration officials also complicated plans to downsize the prisoner population.

“To the greatest extent possible,” Carney said, “the administration will continue transferring detainees who have been cleared to go to other countries and we call again on Congress to lift the restrictions on detainee transfers, which have significantly limited our ability to responsibly reduce the detainee population and ultimately close the facility.”

Obama announced the creation of the two jobs in a May address at the National Defense University amid a widespread hunger strike at the prison that had spread to more than 100 prisoners. “Look at the current situation, where we are force-feeding detainees who are being held on a hunger strike,” the president said.

As of Monday, the military said 14 prisoners were on hunger strike — each man sufficiently malnourished to be force-fed if he doesn’t voluntarily submit to nasogastric feedings or drink a dose of Ensure on his own.

“We are spending almost $1 million per detainee per year to house detainees at Guantánamo – that’s nearly $200 million dollars annually in an era of sequestration and tighter budgets,” the White House added.

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Algerian Djamel Ameziane, a 42-year-old ethnic Berber, has been approved for release but wants to go to Canada, or another country, rather than the nation he fled in 1992. His lawyers have chosen Canada because he lived there for five years, and filed a failed application for political asylum. From Canada he went to Afghanistan, where he was captured in the U.S. invasion.

    IN THE COURTS

    Ex-Guantánamo detainee can’t get his money back

    Federal judge concludes a former Guantánamo detainee may no longer be a threat, but his money is.

  •  
The Kremlin.

    Russia bans congressman, 12 other Americans

    Russia has placed a U.S. lawmaker and 12 other people connected with the Guantanamo Bay detention camp and the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq on its list of those banned from entering the country.

  •  
In this image from video, Eugene R. Fidell, the lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday, July 16, 2014, in an interview with The Associated Press that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

    Bergdahl hires lawyer for military investigation

    The lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category