River Cities Gazette

Medley council cuts back lunches for hot meals program

 
 
SANDWICHED: Hector Rivero pauses while employee Lizmari Valido translates his message to the Medley council, asking to lower the age for free lunches to 62.
SANDWICHED: Hector Rivero pauses while employee Lizmari Valido translates his message to the Medley council, asking to lower the age for free lunches to 62.
Gazette Photo/THEO KARANTSALIS / FREELANCE

River Cities Gazette

There may be fewer free lunches in Medley as town leaders voted 5-0 at a special meeting Oct. 24 to raise the eligibility age for its hot meals program to 62.

“It runs half-a-million dollars or more each year,” said Town Finance Director Roy Danziger. “That is just for the meals.”

Currently, if you live in one of Medley’s 337 trailer homes and are age 55 or older, you may have grown accustomed to getting a free lunch — and dinner. The town estimates that 386 residents get two hot meals delivered right to their door, five days a week. Meals include premium steaks, pork and chicken; a special dessert; and a beverage.

When you add in supplies and delivery costs, Danziger said, the hot meals program costs the town about $580,000 per year. Each meal cost $5.05, he said. 

“I think that 65 is too high,” said Hector Rivero, who helped persuade the council to lower the qualifying age to 62. “Other cities provide meals for $3.99. $5.05 is too expensive.”

Rivero was one of only two residents who showed up to challenge the program cuts.

Next on the social services hit list: housekeeping. Residents may have their toilets and bedrooms cleaned only once per week with a two-hour limit. The program, which currently costs the town $154,671 per year, will now be limited to those age 65 or older, or for those with special needs or disabilities. 

If locals feel their blood pressure rising, they may be in luck. The town tabled discussion on its blood pressure monitoring program until the next meeting. The program, where medical staff are sent to take blood pressure and glucose readings of residents, currently costs the town $36,504 per year. 

The town then canceled its contract with an alarm services company that provides burglar alarms at a cost of $28.95 each. Instead, it will help provide free cell phones through a government service for low-income residents. 

Employees also felt a pinch, as health insurance for part-time employees is now only available to those with 10 or more years of service for those hired after Dec. 31, 2013. Health insurance costs set the town back by $120,000 a month. 

“You can incorporate this through a resolution,” said Stephen Helfman, part of the law firm that collectively serves as the town attorney. “It can start whenever you like.”

Helfman added that the measures would affect a lot of people.

Medley homeowners, mostly seniors on fixed incomes, currently pay about 5.650 for every $1,000 of assessed taxable value to the city. 

The typical homeowner who takes the standard $50,000 Homestead exemption would pay $31.77 in taxes. The town has 337 trailers and 39 homes, according to Councilman Jack Morrow.

Medley could see a large turnout to oppose changes to its social programs at the next town meeting, which will be Monday, Nov. 4, at 7 p.m. at 7777 NW 72nd Ave. 

Read more River Cities stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
HOF INDUCTEES: There wasn’t an empty seat at the Miami Springs Country Club last week when Miami Springs High School held its Inaugural Hall of Fame Athletic Awards Ceremony. The Charter class of inductees included, from left, Buddy Goins, Doug Orr (special contributor), Karen Borgman (accepting for Wendy Fordyce), Bill Diaz, Shelly Dunkel, Phil Jones, Tosie LeGrand and Altermease Kendrick (accepting for husband Vince).

    Miami Springs High School holds Inaugural Athletic Hall of Fame Awards ceremony

    The Inaugural Miami Springs Senior High School Athletic Hall of Fame Awards Ceremony became a reality last week before a sold out crowd at Miami Springs Country Club as a total of seven former Springs athletes or coaches went in as the charter class.

  •  
PRESIDENTS CUP CHAMPS: With Commissioner Rebeca Sosa and Miami Springs Mayor Zavier Garcia in the background, the members of the Miami Springs/VG U-12 girls soccer team were a happy bunch last Friday night, April 11 when they posed with their plaques presented to them at the Opening Ceremonies of the River Cities Festival. That following a dramatic 2-1 win in the championship game of the Presidents Cup tournament in Auburndale, Fla. five days earlier.

    Miami Springs/Virginia Gardens U-12 girls soccer team wins President's Cup, honored at River Cities Festival

    A long and winding road of soccer success came to a thrilling conclusion on Sunday morning, April 6 when the Miami Springs/Virginia Gardens Under-12 girls soccer team broke down the doors of local history by becoming the first local girls soccer team to ever win the President's Cup. As a result the team was honored at the Opening Ceremonies of the River Cities Festival last weekend when County Commissioners Jose "Pepe" Diaz and Rebeca Sosa showed up for the ceremony.

  •  
HOT UNDER THE COLLAR: Medley businessman Gary DiPalo was one of many business owners lined up at the podium at Monday night's meeting to voice their major objections to a potential seafood processing business being given a special exemption to come in and set up shot right next to them.

    Tempers flare at Medley council meeting over seafood processing business

    Even though the Fourth of July is still three months away, that didn’t mean the Town of Medley didn’t have its own version of an early fireworks show at its monthly meeting last Monday night, April 7 when more than a dozen business owners were lined up to take their turn at the podium and give the council some very strong opinions and things nearly got out of control.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK