Miami Beach

Miami Beach

Last-minute suit filed against Miami Beach candidate

 

cveiga@MiamiHerald.com

An emergency lawsuit was filed Friday to get Miami Beach Commission candidate Sherry Kaplan Roberts off of Tuesday’s ballot.

She has been dogged by allegations that she doesn’t live in the city — a requirement to run for office there.

Roberts said the suit had been filed by local blogger John P. Morgan. He recently filed an elections complaint against Roberts for the same reason.

“This is a charade and a joke, and there’s no merit,” Roberts said. “This is the worst of political dirty tricks and it won’t work to distract us.”

Roberts accused one of her opponents, Micky Steinberg, of actually being behind the suit.

Steinberg’s husband, Richard, hit “reply all” to an email notifying several people about the lawsuit, Roberts said. His email pointed out where Roberts was located so she could be served with the suit.

Richard Steinberg is a former Miami Beach state representative. He resigned after a texting scandal.

Micky Steinberg said her campaign had nothing to do with the suit.

“I think the lawsuit is unnecessary,” she said. “I think we have a clear choice in this election. I know the voters continue to believe in me.”

As for her husband’s email, Steinberg said he was given a “heads-up” about the suit being filed.

“I don’t know who else they gave a heads-up to, but they gave a heads up, ‘Hey we’re filing a lawsuit.’ And he said, ‘Oh. OK. Here’s where she’s at.”

Steinberg shot back at Roberts, accusing her of sending out three “really bad pieces on me” through a political organization that isn’t properly registered, as required by state law.

Responded Roberts: “You’ve seen everything I’ve sent out for my campaign. They are all positive. That’s my statement.”

The election is Nov. 5. Retiree Elsa Urquiza and business owner Mohammed Islam are also in the running for the Group I seat.

Follow @Cveiga on Twitter.

Read more Miami Beach stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK