The kids are on the streets, the houses are decorated, and the candy is ready to be devoured.
It’s that time of year again… Happy Halloween!
Here are five tips to keep your ghastly ghosts and winsome witches safe and healthy while they trick-or-treat Thursday.
1. Stay in groups with a trusted adult instead of trick-or-treating alone.
2. Inspect all candy before children eat it. Make sure that only completely wrapped candy is eaten and stay away from anything homemade.
3. Stay on sidewalks when possible, or on the far edge of the road to stay clear of oncoming traffic.
4. Carry a flashlight and add reflective tape on costumes or accessories to stay visible to passing drivers.
5. Look both ways before crossing the street and cross at intersections.
The Florida Department of Corrections will also work with local law enforcement agencies to go to selected homes of sex offenders to make sure they’re not participating in Halloween activities involving minors during trick-or-treat hours.