1. The Miami Heat opens its season Tuesday night, gunning for a three-peat. Before the game: the raising of the championship banner and the distribution of the rings. The game, Heat vs. Bulls, tips off at 8 p.m. at AmericanAirlines Arena. TNT is airing the game.
2. The defense is likely to wrap up its case Tuesday in the trial of a man accused in the 2007 killing of Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor. Lawyers for 23-year-old Eric Rivera Jr. are trying to show jurors that his confession was improperly coerced by investigators.
3. Travyon Martin’s mother will tell a Senate panel on Tuesday that states should clarify their "stand your ground" self-defense laws. Sybrina Fulton will address the Senate during a hearing that begins at 10 a.m. in Washington. Her 17-year-old son was shot in February 2012 by George Zimmerman, who was acquitted of second-degree murder in July.
4. Fusion is on the air. The new English-language network, based in Doral, is aiming for younger viewers with a mix of humor and edge.
5. South Florida is getting warmer and windier. The good news: Forecasters say there is no chance of rain Tuesday. Highs will be in the mid-80s and lows in the mid-70s. Winds will be 15-20 mph.