Tests on Monday confirmed what the Dolphins suspected: Brandon Gibson has a torn patellar knee tendon and will miss the remainder of the season. On Monday, he tweeted a picture of himself from a hospital bed.
Without Gibson, Rishard Matthews will become Miamis No. 3 receiver, and several free agents are expected to audition for the Dolphins on Tuesday.
The Dolphins also might consider the two receivers on their practice squad: former Jets receiver Ryan Spadola and ex-Colts receiver Nathan Palmer. The two receivers who began the season on Miamis practice squad, Marvin McNutt and Brian Tyms, were claimed by Carolina and Cleveland, respectively, in recent weeks.
Offensive coordinator Mike Sherman said he has a lot of confidence in Matthews.
The Dolphins struggled to pick up the Patriots blitzes in the second half, one big reason why Miami allowed six sacks after halftime.
Shermans explanation? When we motioned across the formation, it was on a couple of third-down formations. Were not a big motion team. We needed to re-ID some things. Ill take responsibility for that. It shouldnt have been a problem. It was a problem. They hadnt been a big pressure package on third-and-short situations. They got us twice.
This and that
• Though the Dolphins keep saying Dion Jordan will play more, it hasnt happened. He played just 18 of Miamis 68 defensive snaps Sunday.
• Coach Joe Philbin and Sherman disputed the notion that the team abandoned the running game in the second half. The Dolphins had 21 carries in the first half, nine in the second.
• Ryan Tannehills fumble on Sunday gave him eight for the season, and Sherman said he has been susceptible a couple of times when hes in the throwing mode and [the pressure] is on his back side, and hes getting ready to throw.
• Sherman said rookie tight end Dion Sims, who missed Mondays practice with a toe injury, has made some progress but has a ways to go.
• Defensive end Cameron Wake played only 34 of the 68 snaps because hes not yet playing at his normal effectiveness due to a knee injury.
Hes still getting stronger every week, defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle said. I feel good were on the verge of Cam getting back to himself.
• Rookie cornerbacks Jamar Taylor and Will Davis were inactive Sunday, and Coyle said: Its a matter of numbers and how guys fit within the packages were going to play in a particular game. You cant carry 10, 12 defensive backs and not be short on another position.
• Offensive tackle Jonathan Martin sat out Mondays practice with an undisclosed illness.
• Linebacker John Offerdahl, who will be inducted into the Dolphins Honor Roll on Thursday, called it a dream come true during a Monday news conference: I had four older sisters. I played the French horn. I was not your prototypical linebacker.